Turbo on way out? How to tell?

G

GTI-R Kid

Well I suspect that our turbo might finally be on the way out, but I'm wondering if there are any ways of telling for sure besides waiting for it to go bang or removing it from the car?

Telltale signs at the moment are occasional blue smoke from tailpipe on idle, and not making proper boost. Also seems to be surging a little and generally not performing the best.

Anyone?

P

pulsarboby

remove the intake pipe and check the impellor! back and forth movement in the shaft or excessive sideways movement means its done for and will need rebuilding.
fraid it dont sound to healthy though!!

G

GTI-R Kid

Cheers for the replies.

I swear the car is suffering dual-personality at the moment. Took it to a mates this afternoon, and once warmed up the car felt sluggish (not a word I'd expect to use in describing a GTI-R). Noticed blue smoke on trailing throttle, and each time the exhaust popped there was smoke too. Car was only making about 0.85bar boost according to the SBC, even though its set for 1bar.

Then on the way home the car was flying again, banging everytime I lifted off the throttle. Too dark to tell if there was smoke this time though.

Guess I'll be pulling off the intake tomorrow to take a closer look. Is it dodgy to drive like this, and if the turbo does eventually fail is the car still drivable or would we be risking more damage to the rest of the engine?

G

GTI-R Kid

Oh and there's a nasty ticking noise thats developed over the past few weeks. Sounds like a gasket near the turbo but I'm guessing it could also be the turbo itself?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GTI-R Kid said:
Also seems to be surging a little and generally not performing the best.

Anyone?
Could it be that gasket causing your problems? check it out;-)

G

GTI-R Kid

Fast Guy said:
Could it be that gasket causing your problems? check it out;-)
Doubt it, if it even is a gasket making the noise. First noticed the smoke when going to the Ring back in Sept/Oct. long before the newer ticking noise developed. At the end of a long run on the motorway the blue smoke would pump out while the car was idling. Didn't happen after every run, but was fine while cruising.

Also noticed that each time the exhaust popped on the Ring that there was a puff of blue smoke to accompany it. Mainly on gearchanges.:doh:

P

pulsarboby

be carefull that the turbo impeller isnt breaking up! if it is you could end up sucking particles through the throttle body into the bores, then youll have a rebuild on your hands.
i wouldnt even use it untill youve checked it out properly!!

G

GTI-R Kid

Won't be driving the car till I've checked it out so. Its only 2 months since the rebuilt engine was reinstalled, and since the credit card hasn't quite recovered yet I don't think it could take the bashing that another build would do!

Oh well. Maybe its time for new turbo.

G

GTI-R Kid

Well I spent the afternoon under the bonnet playing with this and that. Took off the intake piping to get at the turbo and can confirm that there's definitely in and out movement of the impellor, though no sideways movement. The impellor blades are also all still intact so I'm wondering can the car be driven for a little while longer now? Does this movement mean that my suspicions were right and the turbo is done for - just a question of when?

P

pulsarboby

right next step now is take off the exhaust side and check there, actually it would be just as quick to remove turbo and look it over properly.
but if you need to drive it and induction side of impeller is ok, then it should be ok to temporarily drive.
but imo i would want to sort the problem out once and for all!

chrism

Seems like the axialbearings are shagged.Think this is whats happened mine.I found a local guy thats gonna change this bearing and the oil seals for a cheap dime.

G

GTI-R Kid

Maybe 2-3mm of movement. And not found the source of the ticking noise yet. Tried moving my hand around the turbo while the car was warming up to see if I could feel any blowing between the turbo and manifold joint, but gave up when I burnt my finger on the manifold. :oops:

Don't know what to do now. My Mrs is reluctant to spend any more on the car, and I can certainly see her point, but it would be nice to have it running right for once. :sad:

Might book it in for the head work to be done next week if herself agrees to it, and see if the mechanic can locate the source of the other noise, and also confirm for me if the turbo really is shagged. Until then we'll probably just leave the car parked in the garage to be safe. :cry: