Turbo issue..help plzzzz

Z

ziaddirani

greetings,

i installed a new turbo on my GTIR ( the same that come with APS twin turbo kit for 350z), i start the car with no problem..i went for a test drive, but the turbo will only boost at max for 0.15 bar..after two days of testing, clouds of smoke start coming out from the exhaust both at idle or during driving. i rinstalled my old turbo.it work fine, and it will boost to 1.0 bar, only blue smoke comes out(thats why iam changing it)...plzzz help me with this

GTIR-LOZ

what colour smoke was it, sounds like either you wastegate is not adjusted correctly or your new turbo is knackered - was it new or second hand

Z

ziaddirani

problem solved, the turbo housing was rotating :doh: which caused the problem...

Z

ziaddirani

now that problem was solved a new one just came out :? , every thing is fine the car runs great at 1.25 bar.the problem is when i come to low rev 1800 and down, the car hesitate a lot and then turn off. i start the car again, the rpm sits between 1200 and 1400 going up and down for some time and then turns off, i have to keep the rpm at 1800 not to turn off.
thanks

Smo

Could it need a remap? I'm assuming your new turbo is a different size to standard. I'm afraid my knowledge is very limited so I may have just embarrassed myself!

Smo

I'm just guessing here, but surely an upgraded (larger) turbo will swallow different amounts of air even if the boost pressure is the same as the previous turbo. I'm thinking your car is running oddly because your AFR is different throughout the rev range. I could be wrong (and most likely am) but it's just a thought.

Z

ziaddirani

thanks guys, this means a bigger turbo upgrade, nead a new remapping..right?

youngsyp

ziaddirani said:
thanks guys, this means a bigger turbo upgrade, nead a new remapping..right?
That's just the start matey....

If you've installed a bigger turbo, you'll need higher flowing injectors for a start also. Thst stock 444cc injectors will max out with the stock T28 turbo at around 320 bhp or less.

Ideally, if you've put a higher flowing turbo on there, you should upgrade to a Z32 MAF, to maximise your gains.

What is the model of the turbo, out of interest ?

I thought the turbos that came with the 350Z APS kit were fairly 'small' ?! As it only runs very low boost levels....

Paul

Z

ziaddirani

youngsyp said:
Looks lik I was wrong and they are quite big turbos, to flow 80 lbs or air. Doesn't the T28 flow around 51 lbs ?!

Paul

:roll: mmmm well iam not sure, but my question is, If i install a bigger turbo, does it affect the MAF readings when on idle. i mean the turbo is not spooling untill i throttle, why should i have a lot of hesitation ended by turn off during idle?

Z

ziaddirani

Problem Solved...The custom made inlet, made the MAF too close to the turbo...Using Longer Inlet solved the Problem..:thumbsup: