TOYO R888 or Similar Suggested

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
My attitude to track days might be different to some, I never go to be the fastest driver (You never will be in a road car) but to have the most fun. When I did the most track-daying in my old car, I started off wanting the best but if you go for it you can kill a set in a day. I then tried part worns and would deliberately kill them every time I went (It was called gooning then but now we call it drifting). I finally realised the error of my ways and settled on Hankooks which gave reasonable feel, grip, performance at an economic price. @Ant, on the road Hankooks need higher pressure than some other tyres, on the track they need even more. What pressures were you running?

What I liked about the hankook is the wear rate, on a track day when you go home you don't want some super soft tyre that is down to the canvas in parts with a 3 hour drive a head in the rain.

I prefer relatively poorer tyres (meaning not the grippiest out there) for setting up a car as they last longer whilst you mess around with geometry and the limits are lower. The balance of a car is the same whatever the tyres and lower limits mean easier access to assessing the balance.

If you want a good all round road tyre that is good on track Goodyear Eagle F1's :yawn: I yawn because they are just so consistently good its difficult not to sound like a stuck record. Think of them as the Porsche of the tyre world.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/tests/CandD_gy_f1_gs_d3/CandD_gy_f1_gs_ds.pdf

If you want a good sticky tyre that isn't as good on the road, The khumos are a better fit and come in a hard compound.

If you want the best of both worlds get a spare set of rims and use your F1's for day to day and if the track is wet. Get some barely road legal tyres for the dry (Minimal water channels). @Andy, I wouldn't use re-moulds on the road but as a spare set for the track at £60 a corner its worth a punt. I've just not had the opportunity to punt recently :frusty:

LeeSmith

blackcircles.com aren't too bad. Mail order is better if you know someone who can fit them. They charge a tenner to deliver 4 tires

antgtir

campbellju said:
@Ant, on the road Hankooks need higher pressure than some other tyres, on the track they need even more. What pressures were you running?
I must admit i only ran 32 all round which is probably a little low which may have contributed to higher tyre temps and hence exceeding the working temp of the tyre. I must admit though the tyre wear was very good considering this.

I am angling towards a second set of wheels and tyres for track days as at least you are able to get home with no worries:-D

I think ill let you try the remoulds out and ill reap the rewards if they are ok:p :lol: ;-)

Ant.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
antgtir said:
I must admit i only ran 32 all round which is probably a little low which may have contributed to higher tyre temps and hence exceeding the working temp of the tyre.
Tyre temps aside, IMO I think that is too low for Hankooks tyre profile even for the road. I normally run 34-36psi on the front but if that drops to 30 in the wet (Tyre temp independent) then the car feels shocking, they just stop working as you get too much tyre flex (Think of it like putting a flat bottomed tyre on a motorbike). On a track I normally start with 38/34 front/back on K104's and see how I get on. With 32psi on the fronts, your tyres would have been rolling too much and over heating on the outside edge. You're using less of the tyre for more of the time. Once over heated they'd then have started gripping even less.

Can I recommend you buy a good tyre gauge/pump before you spit your dummy out at the tyres :p ;-) :lol: :lol:

youngsyp

campbellju said:
Can I recommend you buy a good tyre gauge/pump before you spit your dummy out at the tyres :p ;-) :lol: :lol:
You can get a good digital one (accurate to -/+ 1%) for about £6. A must have tool, whether you use the track or not ! ;-)

bracpan

Totaly agree with Campbellju on tyre choices for the Pulsar plus tire pressures, think you have also been around a track a few time ? lol.
Outright grip is not everything, I raced on full Avon slicks for years, very very gripy but if they broke away it was very hard to catch them, specially the speeds you were cornering. Great for very fast times ( The Pulsar has still a good bit to go to achieve my times in my Turbo Special saloon Mini) but not as enjoyable as a harder tire as they like road tire are much esyer to control over the limit.
So if you want the fastest time get some Avon Slicks at around £200...each and wear out quick or get a harder A1 or even a B1 tire and have more fun,,,you cant have both.
Cheers
Phil

antgtir

Lol I haven't spat my dummy out over anything, I just wasn't totally impressed with the way they handled and thought id look at maybe other alternatives, or do we all have to walk in line like little lemmings :lol:

At least this thread has given other people a chance to look at other types of tyre for the track / hillclimb instead of being blinkered into thinking the road tyres from your local high street supplier are the only options.

I may well play tunes with the tyre pressures as you are more than likely right about that, however for me and my style of driving i feel the R888 or similar would be a better option (for me, no one else).

Great opinions though and im sure we have all learned something from it so at least this threads achieved something :lol:

Thanks for the comments and guidance guys.

Ant.

bracpan

No problem enjoyed the banter, but i have heard only in the last week that the R888's are now even softer and wear quicker. So please also look at the Kumho as that is still available is 3 compounds, I have emailed them before and found them very helpfull might be worth a try. Also on a road based tire you cant alter the tire presures very much from standard only around + or - 4 pounds max, reason being the side walls are nor strong enough.
Good luck
Phil

MarkTurbo

campbellju said:
On a track I normally start with 38/34 front/back on K104's and see how I get on.
How come you have your tyre pressure that high to start with? On a dry track after a few hard laps i bet the tyre pressures would be at least 5-6psi more than that which is too high in my opinion! Unless your using nitrogen?

Mr GTiR

MarkTurbo said:
Unless your using nitrogen?
I'm waiting for my mate to get his nitrogen bottle filled and my new (free 8) ) R888 will be getting fitted to my Buddy Club's and being used as track wheels.

I'll ask my sponsor how much he will sell R888's at as part of a group buy if anyboady wants them?

P

pulsarboby

il be up for a group buy on these if you get a descent enough price on them.
they are proven good track tyres. i may buy a few sets actually.

Braveheart

Good stuff.... a supplier for R888's would be good.
I hope to add to this thread but it's mad here with no staff and a full house.... oh my feet!!!

bracpan

Mr GTiR said:
I'll speak to my sponsor on Monday and see what i can set up then.
Whats a sponser ?? Been looking for one for ages, very tricky to get one in wales unless you kick a funny shaped ball around a field...and loose.

Good luck to you well done.

Phil

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
MarkTurbo said:
How come you have your tyre pressure that high to start with? On a dry track after a few hard laps i bet the tyre pressures would be at least 5-6psi more than that which is too high in my opinion! Unless your using nitrogen?
Each to their own really. A lot is really tyre and usage dependent. My Merc is recommemeded 40psi at the back for "high speed" by Mercedes. Sounds bonkers but that works too. Most tyres are rated to 50psi so they won't go bang. I find road tyre pressures give too much tyre flex and let the tyres heat up too much

Kenny

Depending on how concerned you are with your tyre pressures building, these maybe of interest http://www.stockcarproducts.com/acc21.htm

Haven't used them myself yet but I have seen them being used by others, in theory a great idea when they're working but it could be just another thing to go wrong.

On another note has anyone played at all or much with tyre additive?

antgtir

Andy: If you could have a word with your "sponsor" lol and get them to supply cheaper than other suppliers already un earthed then great. I would want some but i dont need them fitted as i can do that myself plus the balancing ;-) i have the technology lol :lol:

Ant.