To front mount or not to front mount??

ram5ay

Ok Folks, looking for a bit of help in making a decision on my intercooler.
Im not planning on running any mental boost, just around a bar just now, possibly a little higher in the distant future but dont know for sure. I know the topmount suffers a bit of heat soak, but is this really much of an issue at this level of boost (with regards to det)?
What I really want some advice on is whether I will gain much reliability/peace of mind from fitting a FMIC, bearing in mind that I would prefer not to have to retard my Ign timing when I increase boost.
Any comments appreciated,
Cheers. :)

T

Toady

you should get a bit more power from the general lower charge temps alone from just running a front mount. 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Run it at 1bar and if you don't have any problems,stick with the top mount. Have you done the fuel pump/clutch etc?
I front mounted at .8bar and made 4bhp :D You could realy feel the extra power :p At 1bar you should make abit more than that and a fair bit of torque too :wink:

ram5ay

Fast Guy, when you front mounted at 0.8 bar did you notice a drop in pressure or any additional lag?
Had a walbro pump in it for a while, not done the clutch yet.....but we'll see how long it lasts at a bar :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can't say I noticed any lag, even with the not too short pipe run of the Forge, didn't notice any pressure drop either, but then the standard gauge isn't the best one to use :?

turblio

I can give you a direct comparison by end of play tomorrow as I shall be
removing my top mount and fitting one of the new Hybrid front mounts
so I will tell you all what boost/lag difference there is before and after :)
Frank

ram5ay

I have read that you should pick a suitable size cooler for the power you want, so will intercooler core size/layout have any effect on lag? Will a large core cause more lag at low boost than a small core?

With regards to the pipework, I assume that any lag could be minimised by having as short a run, and by using as much hard pipes as possible, but would smaller/bigger diameter pipes make a diference?
:?

turblio

Right so now I have a front mount :)
and all I can say is a tad of lag but smoother power! so theoretically if I turn up the gain control it will reduce the lag, but the car does look slick with a big black mouth :) 8)
Frank

O

Olly

Front mount + boost now before your pistons fall apart from the heat :lol: Top mounts are only good for stock boost, more boost you run with a top mount then the less cooling effect it has especially at more pressure and less time, and a short pipe run, you see my theory? If in doubt inject some water Aquamist... 8)