TMIC front mounted - whats involved?

CruiseGTi-R

Apart from the obvious, what are the tricks to moving OE TMIC and using it front mounted?

A kinda descriptive how to would be great from anyone else whose done this.

M

Mr Overboooost

with the price of front mounted intercoolers these days its and absolute waste of time doing it with a top mount :roll:
just look on ebay
cheers
gary

gtirneil

Theres a place in america called d2racing.com (i think) that does a polished front mount with all pipework for £260

Or you can get a IC on its own for £100

Keira

CruiseGTi-R said:
Apart from the obvious, what are the tricks to moving OE TMIC and using it front mounted?

A kinda descriptive how to would be great from anyone else whose done this.
to answer your question you will have to alter the end tanks and make up a pipe run. Theres a full how to guide on the home page before you enter the forum..

but as already has been said front mounts are pretty cheap these days 8)

andygtir

hi mate, i front mounted mine and you can do it for next to nothing.

i dont know why more people dont do it, the core has been proven to cope with 400bhp+, im running upto 1.6bar through mine and my oil temps dont go above 95c.

paul randy welded my end tanks and did a top quality job.

i followed the fitting guide from the gtiroc roughly but used 1 metre of 58mm pipe for the turbo to intercooler section as it gives the best fit and thats the size of the standard pipework. the turbo to plenium side is 1 metre of 63mm pipework.

the washer fluid bottle goes in the boot, costs nothing and the power steering cooler needs cutting which is messy if you dont empty the system first :wink:

more people should do this instead of spending out on aftermarket cores that arnt reallly neccessary. :roll:

if you decide to go ahead give me a pm :D

Fire & skill

Vintage member
ive often thought doing this to a standard IC gives it really good flow, ie it uses up most of the IC, not so keen on others that come in through the side, the air would just pass from the side and only use up a third of the IC before exiting directly opposite, if you look at the norris designs intercooler you can see how it would use up most of the core to dissipate the heat.

if i get time i'll maybe make up a couple of pics to explain myself better :shock:

A

Anonymous

I used a Evo 5/6 intercooler fitted like a dream and is much bigger than the topmount, have a look around on the evo sites for a second hand one. got mine new for £290. and had solid alloy pipes made total cost around £350.

Cheers

Phil