Tein shocks help

dobby

Hi,

I had my car in Promax today to set everything up on my coil overs but in the end they didn't do anything.
They first tried to set the ride height up but when they tried to do this they couldn't get the front to drop as it was sitting on the bump stops. After my phone buggered up they couldn't phone me to tell me this so they stopped and nothing more got done.
After talking with them at the end of the day they stated that in their opinion the shock bodys were too long.
I have super streets with front pillowball upper mounts. On the way home i was trying to figure out why this was happening and it dawned on me that the back was sitting quite low so would that stop the front from being lowered.
I have done some reading on the subject and campbellju's guide was running in my head about how the front affects the back and vice versa (ride height).
I then decided to attack this myself and when i looked at the back ride height i noticed it was slammed all the way (60mm if i'm correct). I didnt fit these shocks.
I started raising the ride height and now i got it set at 357mm rear and 348mm front. Heres where the questions start.
1. The guys at promax stated that for road use you need a few inches of travel on the suspension but even with the ride height set the way it is it is only about 2 inches. Is this going to be ok? I'm told by them it could bugger the shock by being so low and hitting the bump stops.
2. Has anybody had similar problems.
3. Should i be ok to get the car setup now.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Mark.

simpulsar

hi m8 i know its nothing to do with your post but i seen your car 2day and i love it. get some pics up for everyone to see. its a propper rally replica:thumbsup:

dobby

lol thanks. i will be taking some photos shortly.

on topic i have now taken the car for a test drive and its driving much more smoothly over bumps and goes round roundabouts a hell of alot faster.

D

deslynam

Did you buy the suspension & spring set from new? If so, I believe that the instructions that come with it get it to a decent ride-height to start with, and I think leaves about half a dozen thread turns visible on the strut casing, when you've set the ride height.

gunmetalgtir

On the teins on my old car I had them lowered about 25mm from standard, thought it was perfect as far as looks and handling went!

dobby

They are brand new but i didnt buy them the previous owner had. I took it down to promax with the same ride height i mentioned above and they did their thing. It now rides great but the guy did tell me i only have 15mm of compression damping for the front.

D

deslynam

Take a photo of where you've got the spring platforms set, and post it up here.

bracpan

I run my car on these, did you use the car on the road first? As they did take a few days to settle down. I am taking mine to a place next week to get the alignment and corner weights sorted, will pas the name on to you after its all done.
Cheers
Phil
PS Have a look on the linke below why I have to re-do mine !!! lol

http://rhodopsin.co.uk/Other%20Sports/Loton%20Park%2019-05-07/Class%2003's/Class%203C/slides/Loton-07-05-19-0389.htm

dobby

Lucky escape there Phil. I hope to go to Pembrey to watch you next weekend. What day is it on. The backs were on for about 4 weeks but with no preload on the springs. The fronts were fitted the day before I went the first time. As I bought the top mounts separate would it matter? Is there any difference between the shocks if you buy with out topmounts? Mine are sorted now Phil Promax did a great job. The only problem with them is they are a 50 mile round trip.