Suspension Setup - Midlands

SickBoy

Right very soon i am having fitted my new

Coilovers with top mounts
whiteline rear anti-rollbar
whiteline front anti -rollbar
whiteline 4 point lower brace

I need to find some where reputable to take the car to have all the suspension set up

I dont want a quick fit that will just do tracking i want
tracking 4 wheel laser alignment
camber
etc etc

Does any one know of such a place in the midlands

Lee :(

OZ-Racing

I was looking for somewhere that could do my camber adjustment a while ago, asking all the local garages, it appeared that the only plece near me with the correct equipment was my local Toyota garage.

C

Crazy

Lodge Tyres in Aston/Birmingham will do tracking 4 wheel laser alignment
camber etc for £70 :wink:

But if you want to go the full hog and get your suspension corner weighed to get the most from your coilovers and stuff ZOO Motorsport will do it for £200. info@ZooMotorsport.co.uk 8)

Simmo

jeff fawkes definitely - very good service and knowledge there.

was in ibstock, leics but might have moved by now.

SickBoy

Cheerrs Guys

Jeff Fawkes def does it gave them a call but not the corner weighting

also spoke to Zoo motorsport and its £250 full set up with corner weighting

has any one used zoo ???

How benificial is the corner weighting part ???

Lee

D

deslynam

You don't really need corner weighting, that's getting into motorsport/proper trackday territory.
But I await to be corrected if it's found to be particularly useful on these for general use...

E

Edd

ZOO motorsport fitted my coilovers and corner weighted and set up camber/caster for my car for £250 8) :twisted:

They are really good guys and know what they are doing and my car handled amazingly once setup :twisted:

Just make sure you take the camber/caster settings with you and tell them as they don't do many R's so don't know what there ideal setup is. 8)

E

Edd

also the corner weighting will show you exactly how much weight is over the front and back, if i remeber 73% of the R's weight is over the front wheels :lol: :lol:

You can also get them to set it up with you sat in the car to make it perfectly balanced with a driver 8)

And corner weighting is definitely worth the price :wink:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
look at the article below. The front of the R that is within 2 kg at the front and 20kg at the back. The front looks as good as a professional setup and when you read the article it sounds like the bloke has got about 50Kg of hi fi in the boot.

Corner weighting can be a good way to verify relative ride heights when setting up coilovers, Its also a far quicker method as you don't have to keep re-measuring things. You just drive the car onto the 4 pads and its done instantly.

Weigh car, note F/R weight balance. Fit coilovers (normally find garages leave it on max drop as sports setting!! :x ) Weigh car again, check F/R L/R balance, make a few moves, bounce car, weigh again, go for tea.

My last rant can be read here:

http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?t=23116&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=balance&start=0

I'm a lot wiser through R fiddling since that post but stand by 99% of it.

Jim

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
To answer the question directly, if you are not setting the ride height up yourself then getting someone else to do this is a good idea. Most garages wil use corner weighting to do this most efficiently and to better balance your L/R tyre loads.

Have I corner weighted my car... No as I've spent hours and days fiddling with ride heights to find what works best for me. Should I now get the car corner weighted? Maybe but I can think of better places to put £130 that would have greater effect on handling and for a road car its not really necessary as the first time your passenger gets in you fill your car up or a tyre pressures drops 2psi, its wrong again.