Suspension Crisis!

Matt Evans

Hi all.

I've just finished fitting my new D2 coilovers. I took the car out for a test drive and all seemed well at first, then I started to hear a noise from the N/S front wheel and I didn't have hardly any drive at all. I managed to get the car back to the house and found that the drive shaft spline had come away from the C.V.

The only thing I can think caused this is the small spring clip on the end of the drive shaft, either it broke when I put the new C.V. on or perhaps I didn't push the C.V. onto the drive shaft far enough for the clip to lock the C.V. onto the shaft.

What do you think people, am I on the right track or has something else caused this?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Take it off and check if the clip is there. If it is, try putting the cv joint on properly. There's a possibility if it is there it may have got mangled with the cv joint moving, so you may have to buy a new one.

Matt Evans

Argh crap! I thought as much. And the one I just put on was brand new! :(

Do you think that is definitely the problem though?

Oh! Thanks for the reply. :)

P

pulsarboby

yep definately
the snap ring holds it in position, when you knock the joint on make sure it seats perfectly, as some people just welly them on with a big bosher and displace the snap ring, or bend it!
also make sure that you cant pull the joint off by hand

Matt Evans

O.k. great, I'm glad its definitely just the clip causing the problem. Where can I get just a clip on its own though, as my local car spares shop say that I can only get it if I by a full kit?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Without digging my spare CV boot kit out, I'm not sure if there might be one in it.

I've just checked on FAST, it looks like there's a clip in the CV boot kit from Nissan if you need the clip.

Matt Evans

Um, does that mean you are willing to sell me the clip, or are you just pointing out to me that I can get one in the kit? : )

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Pointing out you can get one that way if you need it. (it's about £20+ for the whole boot kit tho)

P

pulsarboby

il dig one out for you;-)
pm me your address, il be down workshop on thursday and will remove one for you and stick it in post!

Matt Evans

Thanks for the help everyone, but I've got it sorted now. I'm so glad it was just a small clip causing the problem, and not something I did wrong when fitting my coilovers.

Thanks! :D