starting/running problems

A

Anonymous

i've got a strange problem. usually have no problems starting the car, don't even need to give it any throttle, but recently i have to pump the accelerator loads to get it to fire up. (makes not difference if hot or cold) also when i do get it to start the fans are on permanently (not usually) and smells if it is running richer than normal. i know this a wierd problem, but can anyone help? [:(]

matty

A

Anonymous

Hey there :)

I have just had the same problem happen to my motor :(. However it will start fine when dead cold (thermo fans still come on). When the car is warm/hot, I have to hold my foot down on the throttle and after a few turns it fires up and the thermo fans come on and stay on. Temp is fine etc etc. We measured resistance across the red sender plug and found it was pretty low. Would be greatly thankful if some1 could tell me the possible answer to the prob.

Cheers,
GeeTeyeR.

M

memski

Had a similar problem with mine not so long ago, it turned out to be the wiring to the air flow meter. Gave the plug a clean and checked wiring and it's worked fine since. Was overfuelling really bad and wouldn't fire.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I wonder if it's the temperature sender telling the ecu the engine is too hot? That might explain the fans being on and some cars try too cool the engine by over fuelling.

A

Anonymous

Hey all,

memski!, cheers man!. I unplugged her... kinda thought "hmmm... is this guy having me on or what??" as it wasn't really dirty at all, gave her a quick clean, back to normal :D.
Talking to an electrician about it, he said it could be a very small build up of carbon from the various power levels sent to the wire in the air flow meter? *shrug*. All i know is it did the trick ;)

geeTeyeR

O

Olly

I'm with Fast Guy, sounds like ECU isn't seeing the engine temp and putting on Fans to stop overheating, (Dam thats clever Nissan, Ford have just started doing that) :shock: