standard ecu problems

J

jimmymc

hi i hav swapped my mines ecu with a mate for his standard ecu and neither off my r's will run when i hook it up to them? both idle at about 200 rpm and both misfire and backfire when i start them up? the ecu worked perfectly on his car so i dunno if there is something else i dont know about going on in his car? what can there be ? any thoughts on the matter will be appreciated!
cheers jimmymc

J

jiw

their are a few different types of ecu available, was it the same type as the one you removed, you can tell by the sticker, have you tried it back on his car yet?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
At a guess either the ecu's blown or it's mapped for a higher spec car and dumping too much fuel into the engine.

J

jimmymc

yes both ecu's are identical but i havnt had a chance to try it out on his car yet as hes away for a week. it is a standard looking ecu can these be mapped? i dont know about over fueling as it was chucking out black smoke when i revved it up? didnt seem rich at all? his car does hav a fuel computer tho if that would make a difference?
cheers jimmymc

Paul R

Have a look inside to see if it has got a daughter board installed, the outside may look fine.

Check for any bent pins on the block connector also check the fault codes, note them then and clear them out.

Also make sure that the block connectors are secure, I hate trying to do that bolt up through the middle with so little space.

S

stevenrsturbo@aol.com

had same prob it was just bolt wasnt tight, when i put connector block on,.

J

jimmymc

its not the bolt as ive tried it on both my r's with the bolt 100% secure and it still does it. i hav opened it up but dont see any extra chips or boards but my knowledge of ecu's is very limited lol
cheers jimmymc

Paul R

As fastguy says if it's all secure and it does it on two cars and theres nothing dodgy inside then.....

Do you know of someone elses you can try?

J

jimmymc

i dont understand how it can fail? i removed it from my mates car fitted the mines ecu to his then when he had gone i went for some lunch fitted it to my own and it wouldnt work? it worked perfectly on his but wont work on either of mine? i tried the one i know is good on the car iwas trying to fit it to and it worked fine? tried the suspect one on my other car too and it done exactly the same, wouldnt idle misfireing flames an shit?
cheers jimmymc

Paul R

Sounds pretty screwed, could be static or a dry joint that was disturbed when removed from the other car. Daft question but did you disconnect the battery when plugging it in?

Have you tried looking at any fault codes stored? It could be in limp home mode. Other than that get Nissan to have a look with a Consult.

J

jimmymc

i didnt disconnect the battery mate no. u think it could have shorted when i plugged it in?
cheers jimmymc

C

Crazy

Had the same problem when me and a so called mate :evil: swapped ECU's because he thought that the chip in his ECU was a phase 3 when he had actually ordered a phase 3.5 chip which I was also running in my ECU so we swapped them over but did not disconnect the battery :cry:

Went for a blast but his car was still the same, after we swapped them back the 4X4 light :idea: stayed on in my car at all times which meant the 4Wd was disconnected and I was then running 2WD :cry: :evil:

Checked everything and I mean everything :shock: :cry: but no matter what we tried it would not solve the problem.

THEN I GOT A BIT HEATED :evil: ...........................................................And I have never seen the wanka since :( So no £$£$£

After doing loads of fault code checks and even sending the ECU back the company to check the chip was O.K we still could find no reason why :(

To cut it short I then swapped the ECU with a(REAL) friend that run the same engine and ECU as me but in a 2WD setup and as soon as I fitted his ECU my car was fine and the 4X4 light :idea: had gone off :D

Basically I think my so called mate had forgot to disconnect the battery wires when he removed my ECU which damaged it some how :?

I am just glad the GTIR is not like that, bloody Vauxhall's :p

geetee

1st rule of electronics really.... you know all those instructions that advise you to disconnect the battery before you wire in..

1. Your new speakers.
2. Your new amp.
3. Your new boost gauge.

etc etc

we all ignore them.... can't be arsed.

Unfortunately just a little arc as you pull the connector off the ECU can flip one of the EPROMs out, leaving you with a paperweight.

That said, I never disconnect the battery for any of this stuff and never had a problem. Always think it's too much trouble reprogramming the radio stations :lol:

I'll learn when I blow an ECU too I guess.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)