Spax suspension

D

deslynam

Spax - chav brand or decent?

My front shocks are fecked (have started leaking) and as I want to lower the car anyway from std. people carrier height, I've been looking around for suspensions kits.

There's the G-Force/K-sport/D2 Racing option via the forum's sponsors (£500-£600), Tein Superstreet (£770 from Tweeks) or some Spax stuff that my mechanic has rooted out for me via one of his suppliers.

He's not deal with Tein before, but he maintains various Jap & Euro cars in BRC competition, a Pulsar in F2, and has worked with Prodrive & Ford in their WRC development, so I'm presuming his advice is well founded as he never suggests things that aren't worth doing.

I read on here that the Spax springs were previously known to be the incorrect ones for the 'R, does anybody know if they have sorted this out? :?:
If I go with these i'm hoping they won't shake my fillings out on poor road surfaces...

Just the name alone is enough to make me chuckle though!

JIMMYBACK

first question is wot so u want to use the car for? how much do you have in mind to spend on the car?

D

deslynam

It'll get used mainly as a daily driver, but I have a tendency to do a few track days per year too.

Just trying to get something lower & stiffer without being track-orientated, as I suspect coilovers are.

I had a GTI6 before this, out of the box they're good, but with a Bilstein kit on & adjusted torsion bar they're just right. Kind of taking the same approach here. :)

Cost:
I can get Tein Super Sprints (without topmounts) for <£800, but the spax kit would cost <£600.

ANY thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.
I always thought Spax were ok, but I know they've got a rep of being associated with rude-boy Novas! :lol:

JIMMYBACK

i mean u can go for a set of uprated lowering springs mattgtir has them on his ride and to me they felt a ok to drive drift/rag silly :shock: :? :oops: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
but i am gonna go for a set of coilovers as i feel i will only regret just getting a set of springs just because of my driving style.
coilovers 8)

D

deslynam

Yeah the lowering springs were my 1st choice for cheap & cheerful fun but as the shocks are knack'd I've gotta go for the whole thing one way or the other. :(

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The Teins are very streetable, other coilovers are less so.

IIRC the tein's use 4kg/mm front and 3kg/mm rear. Others (D2 to name one ) use 5kg/mm front and 4kg/mm rear. Anymore than that and its track use only (Considering the average UK road).

IMO, the "others" are just the wrong side of too stiff for street use. To complicate matters, I think the Tein super street that I use have fallen behind some of the "other" brands design wise with pre-load and drop links not adjustable yet they are more expensive.

You can source alternative springs for the coilovers if they are too stuff and I know other owners are thinking of this.

If you were serious you'd buy one of the other brands AND softer springs so you can quickly swap them for track days. Less serious then chceck the spring rates before you buy as this will make or break your setup.

Do a serach on coilovers ;-)

Alternativley, get some 20-30mm drop springs, new bump stops and some Koni inserts, job done.

Again, do a search as there have been detailed posts on this in the past.

Jim

O

Odin

I'm trying to get hold of some 5kg springs for the front of mine and some 4kg rears :wink: .

I think there 7kg front and 6kg rear at the mo :shock: , I'v been trying to find out for sure :? , The front doesn't seem to bad but it's not very good if I hit a bump mid corner as the car can end up on the other side of the road :shock: :cry: .

But i'll get them right if it kills me :wink: :lol: .

rob

D

deslynam

Again, do a search as there have been detailed posts on this in the past.
I have - believe me I have, my head hurt so much from reading it all! :cry:

Think I'll end up with Teins as you say, has been suggested I go down the local airfield for an afternoon's testing & setup as well to get them sorted so we shall see.
Just more £££ though that's the probs.

Not mad keen on hacking the std. shocks to bits TBH, at least it'll be all new kit this way. :)

Not so sure about "the others" as you mentioned, due to springs being too stiff, once I get those + softer springs i'd be spending as much as the teins anyway.

O

Odin

Springs are about £50 for two I think so not that bad :wink: then you can have a spare track day set lol.

rob

OZ-Racing

I fitted the spax lowering springs to my standard shocks with no problems and a nice ride.
They were a bargain at £105 :D , but they drop the car a long way (75mm front, 50mm back iirc). Fortunately I have Cusco pillow-ball topmounts on the front which counter this a bit and allow for the huge camber adjustment, but she still sits a little 'nose down, ar5e up' :lol:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'll check the tein spring rates later. My head's full of work at the mo so my numbers could be out.

D

deslynam

Well it turned out that the Spax stuff was an insert as well, so ended up doing my best impression of a wooly sheep and went for the Tein.
They were in stock and I got them for £783 from Tweeks.
Should have them fitted within a week. 8)