small gap with decat pipe

pete-r

ive had my car decated a couple of weeks ago and have noticed recently there is a small gap at the back of the decat pipe where it joins the exhaust , i only noticed when i had a look under the car and saw some fluid dripping out :? .the gap is very ,very small but can it effect the performance of the car?i have a lot of backfiring now aswell ,its the usual popping and banging which i know is pretty normal,but sometimes under hard acceleration i get some really loud bangs.

Keira

All the pops and bangs are the good 8) bits of having a decat.

If you're on a bout a slight gap between the flanges check to see if a gasket was used,if not you will be able to get one from any motor factors/exhaust place, me if you ask nicely :wink: and stick it in there, add a bit of exhaust paste for good measure and jobs done.

At most your exhaust is blowing abit and sound cr@p aswell as losing a tiny amount of performance, the liquid i should imagine is condensation.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
When I put my mongoose on, the flanges at the decat pipe join weren't exactly straight in my opinion, but it all seemed to hold up OK. The fluid will be water, you could try a new gasket and plenty of exhaust sealant. :wink:
What exhaust is it? Pops and bangs are normal with larger bore exhausts. :)

pete-r

the exhaust is a 5zigen ,i think 5 inch or 4.but from what i understand i shouldnt be losing too much power even if there is a slight leak?