Slick 50

oldaneal

Anyone got any comments on using slick 50 engine or gearbox oil, used it on my old astra but have been told not to use it on the R as it clogs up the oil paths???

Help

J

J-GTi-R

From what I've been told, the PTFE additive thickens at high temperatures (i.e. as the oil passes through the turbo oil channels) then clogs up the oilways. There's been a bit of debate about this, but I personally woudn't use it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
There's also that Extralube ZX1 friction reducer stuff which doesn't contain ptfe. It claims to be used by the miltary, but when I tried to look up the part number in the RAF, it didn't exist (surprise, surprise) It seemed to give me an extra 1psi boost in another car, but nothing in my Gtir.

A

AZ STE

DONT use any PTFE based additives they are old technology and as said will block oil ways. The best stuff is ZX1 this is a small friction reducing molecule which sits inbetween the surface metal molecules.It loves heat so is especially good on turbo applications it can be bought from demon Tweeks www.team-zx1.co.uk

A

Anonymous

Yeah I used some Slick 50 on my last oil change and you can tell it must thicken at high temperatures because the oil pressure rises on the guage a bit more than usual.

I'm flushing it out on the next change, definately not worth the 20 quid it cost.

Dan

A

Anonymous

How much of the ExtralubeZX1 do you put in...?

Ive just done an oil & filter change the other week, and wouldn't mind putting some o that in

Cheers

Gaz.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think the 250ml bottle is enough, it's just under £20. It says on the bottle how much to add. You might need to drain abit of oil out if you've just done an oil change, so that you're not over filled. Alternately, put it in at the next change.

A

Anonymous

Think ill get some and just put it in next oil change

I take it you can also put this stuff in the g/box & diff?

Gaz.

P

purplemonster

from my 15 years working in a garage the only stuff i would ever use is FORTE products

the engine flush is the best i have ever used

and the friction reducer is also the best ,but not sure if it has ptfe in it ?

ROB

O

Odin

I put nulon in my gearbox and buggerd it up so I wouldn't
put anything in your box if I where you :cry: (excluding Hannie) :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rob do you live, work or visit Bromley in Kent ever??
Just I saw a purple R with roll cage in Bromley while in me truck the other day!