Skimming the flywheel

J

jiw

Hi, i have got a spare flywheel ready for when my R comes to bits again, i skimmed it today on a lathe at work and it took 0.65mm to clean it up, it still had lots of hot spots on it (hard shiney mark's).

Have i skimmed too much off it, i think it has been skimmed before as it was on a DP built R that had a lot of money spent on it (rebuilds etc) what would the effects of skimming too much off? Low pedal?

If its now useless does anybody have a good aftermarket flywheel to sell me :lol: jeff

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'm sure it will be fine, there's normally a few mm on your clutch that has to wear out and yet it still works.

I think you can adjust the clutch biting point too, I think my mate did it to mine but this is going back a few years so the memeory is vague.

Jim

J

jiw

Yeah, i have removed the dowels, skimmed the full face and made new dowels from 6mm silver steel, i have a clutch master cylinder sat here and i can see room for adjustment on the rod that links the piston to the pedal, just thought i better make sure as im using my mates garage and wouldnt wanna do the job twice, anyone elses opinion would be great, jeff

ex-gtir

you can not get a good enough flat surface on a lathe you need to use a surface grinder
im a fitter turner by trade so did my first flywheel on a lathe and it juddered like feck
and you et quite a bit of heat transfer into it
most engine builders can skim it
i have seen people take 2mm off the face which is deffernetly too much

J

jiw

well i have had a clock round it and its within a few hundredths, has a lot of hot spots though :?

ex-gtir

jiw said:
well i have had a clock round it and its within a few hundredths, has a lot of hot spots though :?
what few hundreth of a mile lol
would have thought maybe ten thou run out would be ok