shall i change the ecu?????????

rossdj1983

been looking at the new hydra ones- look well priced anyone got one?, same sort of spec as the motec stuff, thing is, is it worth me getting one if im going for the 350bhp mark????

A

AJ4

you'd probably get the 350 bhp mark quite easy if you just had the APexi seperates etc. I wouldn't bother with a replacement ECU until your going for over 400 or so. What about the piggyback stuff, Emanage etc ?

not too familiar with the hydra stuff so cant really comment on them.

A

AJ4

just had a look at that Hydra stuff, looks like a great spec ! What sort of price did you find for it ? I couldn't find any pulsar specific ones.

A

AJ4

its a lot of money to spend if your only aiming for 350 bhp... As you may have gathered, I'm a PowerFc guy myself and the Emanage stuff is a great bit of kit, both of them a lot cheaper than that.

the other thing to consider, unless your going to do the mapping yourself, you'll need to find a garage thats familiar with it and has the right software / equipment.

I would say if you have the money then it might be worth investing in it if you have the time to learn how to map it yourself, if not then there are a lot more common and cheaper options around.

rossdj1983

id rather learn it to be honest. should i ditch my evc then or can i get something to work in unisen with it?

A

AJ4

most aftermarket stuff comes with boost controllers built in now. Usually not too great compared to the standalone stuff, but it works. The in built PFC one I have now is not anywhere near as clever as the ProfecB11 that I had, and I've heard the Motec one is a bit ropy...

I'm going to have a proper look at that Hydra one in a minute, see what it says.

If you just want a basic boost controller then an aftermarket ECU will probably have it. If you want all the gear based learning stuff then your better sticking with what you have and de-selecting it on the ecu.

A

AJ4

Just been having a look at the software for it ( Nemesis ). Looks strikingly similar to the GEMS / OMEX stuff ( excellent stuff 8) )

rossdj1983

decsions decsions.... wanna stick with the evc-get on really well with it, anysuggestions on a piggy back?, that hydra is the boll*cks mate

A

AJ4

it does look pretty good, just never known anyone to have it before ! lol.

whatever you decide, you can still keep your EVC as thats going to be better than anything the ECU will come with.

For piggybacks most people are using the Emanage Blue, the Unichip used to be popular at one time but it seems to have lost favour now... I dont think its as flexible as the Emanage anyway.

Have you considered something more popular like the AEM stuff ? they're pretty cheap and a lot of people recommend them.

The advanatge of the piggyback though is you get to keep all the 'nicey' things from the standard ecu, like the idle control, auto choke, lambda control etc. Some aftermarket stuff can be a pain to replicate the 'nice' stuff that make the car driveable when your just cruising around.

rossdj1983

heard stuff like you get a crap idle etc, to be fair my mate impreza runs sweet as a nut, but then again im tryin to keep the cost down, and i dont want to throw money at stuff i dont really need, jus seen a mines v rom ecu up for grabs, worth takin a look at you recon?

A

AJ4

dont really know much about those to be honest... cant really say. If your serious about only wanting 350 bhp then you'd be fine with an Apexi S-AFC or something.

As an ( extremely ) rough guide I'd say -
350 bhp ( Apexi S-AFC )
400 bhp ( Emanage )
500 bhp ( PowerFC / AEM / GEMS )
600 bhp ( Motec or similar )