rough idle

A

Anonymous

My GTiR is running a really rough idle, sounds like a ported rotary. I thought that fuel injected engines should idle with no problems

J

jasegould

Some gtirs suffer from rough idle probs...if you do a search youll find loads on it. From experience at work we have more probs with idle on fuel injected cars than carb'd cars...theres more to go wrong like IC valves, air leaks, MAFs, sensors etc....its usually a lot easier to adjust a rough idle on a carb'd car aswell.

Sweeny

Mine struggles to idle, and woz diagnosed by Jon Noble to be the AFM.

Im still running a standard one, and have quite a few mods, so it depends on what your running i suppose.

Ive just got a Q45 MAF :wink: .

James.

A

Anonymous

Can you let us know how you get on with your idling? I've replaced plugs, leads, rotor cap/arm. Its coming up with fault code 12 so i bought a secondhand air flow meter but, made no difference as it is still coming up with the same code. I'm stumped. Does yours hesitate when driving at light throttle?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
gidoink said:
Its coming up with fault code 12 so i bought a secondhand air flow meter but, made no difference
Unfortunately there's no guarantee that the second hand one is working, the could both have faults. Have you tried the maf grounding fix?

J

jasegould

Its coming up with fault code 12 so i bought a secondhand air flow meter but, made no difference as it is still coming up with the same code
If its an help mine had the same fault code and I replaced the AFM but it still came up with the same code after :cry: The actual code if is AFM and/or electrical wiring fault I think :?:

Fast Guy, does the manual give any info on fault code 12 :?:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Jasegould said:
Fast Guy, does the manual give any info on fault code 12 :?:

Air Flow Meter Circuit:

Malfunction is detected when....

The air flow meter circuit is open or shorted. (An abnormally high or low voltage is entered.)

Check item (remedy)

Harness and connector. (If harness and connector are normal, replace air flow meter)[/b]

J

jasegould

Thanks, have tried replacing the AFM, and both were within specs as far as voltage output :x

Dooie Pop Pop

check everything on the intake side for air tight fit, chech afm grounding. make sure no oil in boost hoses and fitted tight. check plugs/gap,make sure the ht leads are fitted tight and all rubber bungs on plenum. i put a bottle of injector cleaner in mine and changed the fuel filter after id ran the tank too low a few times and it made a big difference to idle/mpg/boost.
stu

A

Anonymous

thanks to everyone who responded to my post, its given me heaps to think about, I think that my problem stems from a dodgy fuel line, and a very old fuel filter I think. When cold, well after I let it idle for a while, and I give a bit of boost, the car cuts out like what happens when you hit factory boost limit, but this is at about 60 - 70 ks in second gear!! embarrassing and scary as hell, especially when I pull out to overtake.

what do you dudes think?