removing gearbox

gtir bean

im going to take out my gearbox to replace the clutch release fork but is it possible to remove the box on its own and leave the engine?any advice on how best to do this would be great.im in perth if anyone nearby wants to lend a hand???

J

Jamz

Jamz

I think it can done but it'll be sooooooooooooooooooooo much easier if you drop the engine.

J

jasegould

think it can done but it'll be sooooooooooooooooooooo much easier if you drop the engine.
I agree, when I did my clutch I spoke to some tuners and they all recommended takingthe engine out...plus if you remove the engine you can have a good look at everything..maybe replace the water pump etc
Jay

O

one Gti-R

basicall yto do it with the engine in you need to undo the propshaft the gear selector and passenger side drive shaft disconect everything in the engine bay then undot all the bols holding the transfer csse on anthe gearbox and drop it as one peice.

Really if your going that far you may as well spend an extra 30 miuntes undoing the drivers sdie deve shaft and the power steering and the 3rd mount and it basicallty read to drop.

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

dont forget the exhaust and the brace bar at the front :wink: oh and that t*at of a bolt behind the speedo sensor :evil: alot easier to drop the lot out. You dont want to be messing about with a box on your own mate trust me there f*cking heavy and i can see it being a pain in the arse trying to line everthing back up with no ramp and stands. I can drop my engine on my own ( in my single garage) and it is a struggle using an engine crane a smallish trolley jack and 2 high lift axle stands. Make sure you get high lift stands for the job as you'll need them :wink: without them its a ballache trying to pull the engine out from underneath with the cars front end still up in the air on the crane itslef.

J

jiw

I did mine on my own the first time round, id recomend you do drop the engine out and have someone help to man handle the gearbox, its a bit of a beast, jeff