Problems after Rebuild

A

Anonymous

My motor has been rebuilt with Mian \Conrod Bearings(Plasti Gauged ),Oil Pump Internals, All seals and gaskets. My crank was also inspected by Crank grinder who polished and measured all journals to make sure they were still to spec.
Prior to starting ,the mechanic swung engine with coil wire disconnected until oil light on dash went out to make sure it had oil pressure .It started quickly but engine seems to be knocking heavily ......ANY IDEAS ???? :cry: :?

A

Anonymous

Cam Timing ? I will have it double checked . How can timing make motor noisy ?

E

Edd

i dont know, but maybe they also didnt put the cam chain on properly.
what cams did you fit, have they shimmed them correctly?

zia

you,ll get a bit of knocking when running in the engine which is normall once the polish and the piston/ring/cam are all bedded in it should quiten down.

zia

A

Anonymous

I actually got same knocking after first rebuild ,,but noise went away soon after....hopefully i will go away, but its pretty loud !!

Websnowbo

It shouldn't knock. I'd start by stripping it down and checking the big end shell's are correct and that the crank hasn't been ground. If you've had it ground, get it checked to make sure you've got the right size shells. Are the piston's in the right way around? If non standard, do they have the cut outs for the spray jets?

There are loads of possibilities, i used to be the forman of an engine reconditioning/tuning company and if a rebuilt engine is noisy.....strip it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
maybe the bearings are the wrong size?
Exactly what sort of knocking is it? A continuous knocking, a knocking under load, a knocking when you back off the throttle?
Either way something isn't right.

Have you run it long enough to let it warm up? If you have forged pistons, sometimes you can get piston slap when cold which goes away when warm.

A

Anonymous

Got the cam timing re-checked and the Intake cam was out 2 links ....The noise has stopped completely !

Thanks for all help guys

:lol: 8) :p

J

J-GTi-R

I just hope you haven't damaged the valves or pistons... :shock: