PowerFC starting/running problems

E

Edd

Right went to run car and it went like a piece of sh*t
wouldnt idle for F*ck and wouldnt rev over 2k :shock:

car's been off the road about 4 months

I thought the PowerFC didn't lose it's map but does it over this amount of time? Or could it lose the input of a Z32 maf.

Or could i have another problem?
Car's idle was very erratic, only running on 3 cylinders at times (however with nismo mounts it rattles so much cant tell as i was sat in car)
every start up chucked big black cloud out back.
The times it did rev to about 2500 it was missing badly and popping like a machine gun

To me it seems like the map has been wiped or lost and i'ts on a base map with wrong settings (ie z32 maf 600cc injectors)

So does anyone know how long powerfc holds its map or what it could be??

chrisniss91

I was told it didnt lose it's mapp at all once set :? If you remeber my Power FC was going mad idling all over the place until norris sorted it out :) He never said what it was though :? .
When i rang him about the idling he said its (power fc) will mapp itself after a few days. Mine never did though :cry:

E

Edd

hmm thanks, yeh i thought it didnt lose its map either....... but it wouldn't idle at all, i had the car on part throttle and it was barely running and as soon as i let go of accelerator it just stalled.

Am wondering if maybe somehow :roll: the map got wiped, or altered before i collected it.
Or maybe it isn't the powerfc

i think plan is to fit std ecu, injectors and maf back on and see what happens then, if it won't idle with that lot then something is f*cked :shock: :evil:

j10gtr

You can check the settings in the commander.

your airflow meter should be set to vg30 select settings then airflow and then check setting.

Injectors
in settings again select injectors check % i would expect them to be around 68% and the lag time to be 0.51ms but this will depend on the injectors that you are using.

Thanks
Paul

A

AJ4

If you look in the installation manaul, it says you have to do the self learning idle routine, something like idle for 10 mins, demister on for 10 mins, aircon on for 10 mins, some sort of sequence. It says if you dont do this the car will run like crap. I guess you got to do this every time you disconnect the battery and reconnect :?:

E

Edd

Ross said:
If you look in the installation manaul, it says you have to do the self learning idle routine, something like idle for 10 mins, demister on for 10 mins, aircon on for 10 mins, some sort of sequence. It says if you dont do this the car will run like crap. I guess you got to do this every time you disconnect the battery and reconnect :?:
i'm not sure :? i did have look on apexi site last night and read this but was very tired, but i presume you need the commander for this :cry: and like you say i would have thought it would remember the idling function :roll:

E

Edd

Just looked on website and that self learning idling is just to get a perfect idle, mine was idling betwee 500-1500 and very unstable, also it wouldn't rev above 2000 and if you let go of throttle it stalled :cry:

zia

what change have you made since it was dismantled i.e bigger injectors was it on standard maf? if you add these without apply correction to base or normal your using then it will obviously run really rich etc.

zia

E

Edd

nothing has been changed EXCEPT fitting a std turbo instead of the hks gtrs so the idle map should be fine

zia

in that case if the map is same as before being stripped and has not reverted to base it should theoretically run as before :? unless some sensor/ plugs is malfunctioing ? if you had the commander it can give alot of info what the inj duty is what sensor are working, can you not borrrow one from somewhere perhap buy it as it is good peice of kit, the other point would be to, now that it is running,to get it to someone who can map it so you can map the maf and big inj this would the best bet as the last thing you want is for somebody inexperienced to play with it good mapping is worth it weight in gold :wink:

zia

E

Edd

Well i'm going back today with my mate and hs pulsar to check all the wiring, check the leads, plugs, check dizzy and rotar arm are fine and to check maf wiring etc and grounds as didnt have time to check these the other night, will then try and start it and see how it runs.

It should idle fine, it may miss a little when on boost due to mapping and different turbo but definitely no change on idle.

If we cannot find a fault then will revert back to std ecu/inectors/maf so i can do fault code and see if it runs, if it then runs fine then i know the map has been deleted it altered on powerfc, if it still doesnt run then i know there is a problem elsewhere which maybe the fault code will pick up on

Davey

Edd, i'm sure you've covered this already, so feel free to tell me to shut up :wink: but how long has it been standing for?, what fuel have you got in,is it the same stuff that was in it when it was taken off the road?
It probably isnt your problem m8, but it might be worth draining it out and putting fresh in,for when you do get it going again.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might be worth banging a new fuel filter on incase the crap in the tank has settled and then gone straight into your filter on start up.

E

Edd

Just got back form car and still won't run properly

car has had full service, plugs, leads ,dizzy cap, rotar arm fuel filter, car has optimax in it, and is running very rich as plugs are black and wet with optimax.will post more details later

E

Edd

no its not running and the fact i cannot ever speak to ian doesn't help matters :cry:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is it sparking?
Do you know if it's rich on all cylinders?
If it's running that rich, start looking at the fuelling side as in maf fault, dropping resistor fault, faulty regulator, faulty coolant sensor, faulty lambda sensor, injector wiring, ecu fault, wrong settings on a fuel controller. etc etc

E

Edd

Would a fualty lambda cause the car not to idle or rev over 1500?!

I will be swapping powerfc for std ecu and injectors and have somehow got to work out how ian wired the maf and revert it back to std wiring :oops:

R

rsnissan

Edd said:
Would a fualty lambda cause the car not to idle or rev over 1500?!
No if the lambda is shot then the car would just overfuel on tickover and when on closed loop while driving but would still run fine.