Power steering problem - non-GTI-R

G

GTI-R Kid

Hi guys.

I know this might seem strange, but I figured its a car problem and probably shares some common things with other makes so why the hell not....

Recently my girlfriends Ka has started to develop a very strange problem with the power steering. For want of a better description its now very lumpy in operation. When the wheel is turned it might turn easy for a few degrees, then harder (like a car with no pas), then easy and so on. Its so stiff now that I can turn the wheel and the car will do continuous circles without the steering wheel returning to its centered position. :shock:

I've driven a lot of different cars and never found a single one that i could dial in some lock (like half a turn either way) and have it stay there while the car goes round and round. Every other car I've driven would return to the straight ahead position. :?

When it first occured a few days ago I thought I had a flat front tyre - that was how it felt. I checked the fluid which was low so I topped it up and this cured the problem for about a day. Now I'm wondering if it could be caused by air bubbles in the system? The pas pump does sound like its working harder. Not like the audible whine you hear when you hold a car on full lock, but not too far off it either. Can't hear any belts slipping either.

So anyone any suggestions? Anyone expierenced this on another car? Should I try to bleed the system and replace all the fluid (its slightly brown so probably past its best before date)? Is bleeding a power steering system difficult - any tips?
:?:

sypher

recheck the fluid level and investigate for leaks as its noticably louder than before, if level is ok and no leaks are found try this, sit statoinary and rev engine as this increase pump efficiency and turn wheel( but this problem ususally doesn't give noise just loss of assistance untill reved).

One other problem for vehicle not self centering is seized rotational component, usually strut top but again this wouldn't give a nooisey pump.

On some makes / designs (fluid type) the pump does whine a bit when on full lock.