power steering issues

celm

help me here.i posted this on anouther topic
http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=14685

Post subject: power steering Reservoir

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyone have one for sale?it must have a good seal on top.i bought a new cap and u still hear air and fluid comming out of top.so i assume i need a new reservoir.So who ever has one for sale please tell me

ex-gtir

i think youll find it should breath as other wise the pump will cavatate due to a vacum in the resivoir
mike

celm

the problem im having is that i put power steering fluid in.and the fluid squirts out of the top with the cap on.ive i try bleeding the system out like it says in the manual.what else can it be?

ex-gtir
you should not have that much pressure in the tank as it only return flow from the rack has it still got the cooler pipe that run around the front of the car as if that cut short or remove you can have that problem as the fluid velocity is higher
mike
i know it sound stupid but you havent got to much in it have you

celm

the cooling lines are still there,nothings cut.i dont even put much in cause it squirts it out!!could it be the rack?.i dont have power steering even when the tank up 1/2 way.and sometimes it kicks in the power steering and cuts off

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you disconnected the reservoir at any point? The lines haven't been reconnected the wrong way have they? :?

celm

its not reversed cause there different sizes.the pump is working cause its making pressure to squirt the fluid out.i think i might have a clog somewhere or the rack is dead.how can u check for a clog line?

A

AZ STE

Piston seal in the racks passing causing pressurised side to pass to the return side.