Poor running

N

NickB

Hi people,

um I need your help. Ever since my car went to a garage to have some bits fitted it has been running poorly. The main symptoms are difficult to start agter the care has warmed up. Previously it started on the second or third turn, but it now takes at least double this. Also when the car is under load and after about 3500-4000rpm the car stutters and won't go much further, seems the same when booting into positive boost.

I have changed leads, sparks(corretly gapped), rotor arm with little improvement.However with all the talk about loose hoses etc, I have noticed that on my top mount there are two outlets on the right hand side that don't have any hoses connected. There is also no hose on the clip underneath, so I am presuming this is my problem.

Can anybody tell me what hoses(if any are supposed to be connected to this and if possible got any pics so that I don't get it wrong!!

Thanks for any help,

Nick

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you check this picture, you'll see (just below the blue hose onto the plenum) two rubber hoses connected by a length of metal pipe. These are the two hoses that attatch to the bottom of the intercooler. If they're not connected I think you might be running unlimited boost and about to blow your engine, so check them out immediately

nickg123

Don't have a pic, but one pipe should come from the wastegate, up to the Right hand side of the Top mount - there will be a small nipple facing towards the front of the car, without this pipe you will be running un limited boost so the stuttering is probably lack of fuel, or a DET sensor of somesort.

Get it checked now - and DON'T boot it!

N

NickB

OK had a quick look when I got home....couldn't take the tmic off as it started to p!ss down, but..is it one tube that doubles back on itself on the tmic? ie the restrictor pipe or arre they two separate tubes? When I had a quick look with the tm on, I couldn't find any loose tubes???? I presume I'll have to take the tm off to see the tubes?

Sorry to be so vague guys!!

Thanks for the pic Fastguy.

J

jasegould

What do those pipes that go under the intercooler actually do??? Mine arent there, was like it when i got the car but I dont have any problems with over boosting

Sorry to hijack thread :oops:

N

NickB

Its ok Jase, I've never noticed them before, but there again in 3.5 yrs in owning an R i've never removed the IC!!Just noticed there is a big clip with no tube in it and my car runs like sh!t!!! I just want her back especially as I have had NOS fitted!

Just need to know if the tubed are coming from anywhere or if it is a point to point tube(eg the pipe with the restrictor in it) and if so what does it do. Just in case I have the restrictor pipe on order from Nissan(taken over two weeks so far tho!)

The pic has helped a lot tho sso thanks Fastguy, just need to take the TMIC to see if its the same!!

GTIR-LOZ

you should be able to see without removal of the topmount, on the actual intercooler there is a length on metal pipe that runs underneath it, one side is visible at the top right when looking it it down the back this should have the rubber hose comming from the intake manifold, underneath the intercooler on the right middle you will see the other end of the metal pipe, this leads to the wastegate actuator, and splits to the boost solinoid, this is the correct way of fitting them

N

NickB

Thx GTIRLOz, do you have a pic, because I am not mechanically minded(( So you are saying somewhere I Hhave 2 loose pipes or ...I should be looking for them? So it is not one pipe that joins the two?

Sorry for the dumd questions.............I've only had the pulsar for three years!

turblio

Before you make too many changes make sure you have not got a
after market ECU as with mine there are no hoses running through the
solenoid and there is just one that goes from the actuator to the back of the engine
Frank

GTIR-LOZ

my pic would look like fastguys :D thats should help you but in your case it will be joined on the underside of the intercooler the pipes will come from the same place

N

NickB

Again, nothing looks obvious(to me!!!) iwithout removing the intercooler, should I see loose pipes? Nothing looks like its not connected so is it a pipe that attatches to itself? plus without removing the IC should I be able to see the metal pipe? And where does it go to/from??

Sorry I've only had the pulsar for 3.5 years..............very mechanically minded as you can see!!!!

So if I take the TMIC off, will everythimng look like in the picture, if so, where should I be looking for the hoses(if they aren't obviously hanging off? Plus with those thast still have a TMIC, where do these pipes usually fall.........and is it the rrestrictor pipe??

Sorry for so masny questions guys, just want to be able to use my NOS!!

N

NickB

OK the situation so far is....(and I know you must be bored!!)
Greddy boost controller holds its voost...at 0.7 min and 1.1 bar max(when I can reach it) so I presume no overboosting according to the standard guage!
When switched off the boost goes between 0.5 and 0.6.
But I still have the no hard acceleration issue and the spluttering. I have taken the TMIC off and checked for any loose pipes=none. I have a Trust pipe going sttraight to the IN outlet and the turbo going to the OUT outlet and all other pipes seem connected. Just a little worried why there are no pipes going to the TMIC and no pipes loose

Maybe I should take it to a tuner......who knows, but it must be something simple which is why it is p!ssing me off!!

Plus I can't see anything like the restrictor pipe anwhere around...but the guy who did the work ssaid he didn't remove anything............aaargh. Any top tips people coz I'm supposed to be travelling to Durham this weekend??!!!!?!?!?

J

JamesB

I havnt had much experiance personally with this type of stuff - only got my R a couple months back - it barely ran when i imported it. As soon as boost came in, she coughed and spluttered and wouldnt rev over 4200. I went through and replaced coil, all leads, disy cap, dissy rotor (spark was tracking around), and plugs - none of this solved my prob. Even earthed out the MAF sensor - still no go. My mate got a hold of a 2nd hand airflow meter - that seemed to do it and she now goes like a cut snake. Hope that helps out

skiddusmarkus

It would help if you list everything they did.

When you swapped the sparkplugs,was the cover still on underneath the tmic?Were all the 6x10mm bolts tight?I once had the sparkplug cover off and didn't tighten one of them up properly and it made a small hole in the intecooler when I tightend it up as it was forced onto the bolt.A hole in the intercooler is going to cause crap running.
Those pipes people keep mentioning are very important and if the intercooler has been taken off then they will have removed them as if you don't know they're there then they just pull off with the intercooler.They regulate how much boost the turbo makes and without them it can wreck the turbo/your engine.
When you first got the car back,did it run very quickly for a while or was it crappy when you picked it up?Did the garage take it for a test thrash/drive at all?

P

paulrandy

If you've had a Profec fitted those pipes will have been removed from under the intercooler and run straight to the Profec solenoid.
If your problem is heat related check out the oil and water temperature sensors on the back of the engine under the throttle body (there's two sets of sensors, one for the dash and one for the ecu, check the ecu ones(normally have two wires per sensor rather than one)). Good luck cos they're a nightmare to get to!

N

NickB

Yeah, I've got a Greddy profec B fitted. the garage only fitted NOS and an oil cooler under the engine, which would probably be the reaswon why I haven't got the hoses then?

The problem is that everything appears to be okay..boosting at normal levels whe the controller is on...(or off at the mo), the IC itself appears to be fine with no breaks or dents, IC hoses appear to be fine. no splits in any other hoses that I can see.

Mysterious seeing that it ran like a dream and then suddenly it runs like a dog........maybe time to get it to ND to have a look.

Thanks for your help guys.

Nick