Pls help...need bang,crackle,pop and flames

W

wizgti

I'm getting really pi$$ed off with people always going on about how their xhaust snaps,crackles and pops yet I get virtually nothing out of mine. It does do it if I'm at a standstill and rev to the redline and let go but the way other people talk it's like they get it going along pretty much all the time.
My spec is

Apexi induction kit
1 bar boost
Bailey external DV
mongoose turbo back exhaust (3.5 in)

The fuelling is spot on and was at powerstation 2 weeks ago at 284.5 bhp (before mongoose was put on so should be around 290 bhp now).
I don't want a flamer kit and I don't want antilag (well I do actually but can't afford a new turbo every 3 months :wink: ) So come on people what am I doing wrong? By the way will changing the tailpipe to 5" from the 3.5" make much difference?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Andrew

A

antilag

drive along in say second to 6000rpm shut off then keep tapping the throttle very softly not enuff to make the car jerk put just enuff to add a bit of fuel into hot componenbts :D :D make sure car is warmed up first

G

gotoinstant-redline

yeh i tend to find if i hang around in 3rd at about 4k with very little trhottle input, it bangs pops and spits flames all the time.

also i found if you rev right up high (as high as you can be dont hit the limiter) and then change gear slowish.. dont take too long. then i get a flame then. only a little one mind but a flame is a flame :) lights up the crash barrier a treat in the dark.

did you go for the de-cat when you had the goose?
i was only running stock boost when i got my goose and it poped, bnaged and gurggled all day long too :)

L.

W

wizgti

I'll try the gentle right foot thing tonight.
@gotoredline - yes I did get it decatted in fact that was done before the goose but the goose has made so much difference!..

C

charlie

yep, i can vouch for the gentle press of the throttle on gearchanges and decelerating. Works even better with my spark plug in the exhaust :lol: 8)

DanDud

Theres a spark plug placed at the outlet ofthe exaust, and when you press a button it sparks and ignites the stuff cumin out the exaust.

Am i right or was that a loud of bull guys?

Davey

what you on about mikey?, what difference does that make?
i should think the fuelling being spot on prob wont help, mines running rich, and pops and crakles nicely. Also, have you got a silencer in place of the cat, if so replace it with a straight peice of pipe

M

Mikey

I was told if the cat temp sensors not pluged in it will run a bit rich lower down the rev range, dunno if its true or not it dont cost anything (unless you count the extra fuel) and its easy to do.

G

gotoinstant-redline

nah.. thats a load of balls..
all the cat temp sensor does is warn you if the cat is hot.. an dlight a bulb up on the dash. so you dont park on dry grass or anything. i think it also has something to do with limp mode.. but nothing to do with power in the rev range or fuling..

L.

W

wizgti

Thanks guys for all your answers-I took a long drive home tonight and to be honest all your suggestions pretty much didn't work. I do think it's trying to though- any other suggestions cos I've got cramp in my right calf muscle gently tapping the accelerato/holding it very slightly on.

For all those that asked if the cat has been removed etc it is turbo back goose and I know there is no cat but I presume there is no silencer in there as well.

I really do think it's trying to though as I got that sorta rumble a lot which is the stage before you get the actual popping!!

Any other suggestions???

@mods - can you please explain to me why this thread was moved to the tuning/upgrades section cos that doesn't make sense to me- I'm not arguing/moaningsaying your wrong to do it. I just wanna know so I can post in the right section in the future.

Thanks
Andrew

M

memski

You've got the freeflowing exhaust and the atmospheric dv, so all you really need is to richen up the fuelling, how about an uprated fuel pump? More to the point it will mean your car will run safer at 1bar (and possible stronger too?)

W

wizgti

memski said:
You've got the freeflowing exhaust and the atmospheric dv, so all you really need is to richen up the fuelling, how about an uprated fuel pump? More to the point it will mean your car will run safer at 1bar (and possible stronger too?)
The fuel pump is on it's way-will this increase fuelling slightly?

A

Anonymous

yeah i got the same resault as you, i was expecting back pops and flames but i can tell u i very rarly get any backpops (i do have a cat though cause its law here in aus) and the car is running well rich.
now the only time i get little burbles or pops is if i do what you all have stated....
my freakin holden gemini peice of shit, poped and banged more, then the gtir does with the goose...
but must say the goose does sound good, but just needs to be deeper and was dissapointed that it didnt pop bang and burble.....

Keira

Memski has said exactly what i was about to.

If the fuelings spot on you're not going to have that much unburnt fuel to ignite, cars that are running rich are obviously going to pop and bang more.

Mine doesn't do it all the time, mainly does it if im stuck behind someone in 4th gear at low revs and then drop it down to pass them, i get a nice bang then as i change back up, or if i back off quickly after being flat out i'll get one, my mates car used to do it all the time though but his fueling was all over the place.

A

Anonymous

yup.. my car backfires like a mofo :shock:

any gear it backfires.. pretty sure it's due to fuelling (running very rich!)

this should be fixed once I install/tune my safc2 which I pick up on monday!!!!