outer cv boot replacement

i've read the post below this and understand all of that but i cant get the lower ball joint to seperate from the hub.

Iv tried belting it with a hammer and leavering it but it doesnt want to come off?

Any one got any ideas??

J

jasegould

u dont, remove the hub from the leg, 2 big 17mm bolts,even if u have to remove the caliper to get the hub out far enough (better to remove the caliper than disconnect the brake pipe) its a damn site easier than removing the bottom ball joint.

GINGA

You don't need to seperate the hub carrier from the lower ball joint, just undo the strut to hub carrier bolts (2) turn the steering so the its right out on that side or seperate the steering ball joint and pull the hub carrier as far out as you can then presuming you've all ready removed the hub nut you should be able to knock the joint out of the hub :wink: you may need to unbolt the abs and brake pipes from the strut to be able to pull the hub carrier far enough out.

awesome thanks for that got it out now how do you pull the joint apart?

Do you just lever out the balls?

The joint is still in the gearbox im only removing the outer boot for replacement.

A

Anonymous

anyone ever had problems with the cv's seizing to the shaft,
took mine to get it fixed and lucky it was just the strap that holds the boot on had broken off cause all the cv,s on the back of the car are seised and they couldnt get them off(they said that the boots looked fine so they didnt bother to bang them to much just in case they upset the abs sensors so all was left alone)......
will just be a prick when they have to be done......

o.k i got the joint apart by knocking it with a hammer until it slid off the spindle but the damn circlip was broken (dont think i did it but hard to tell) so i got a bit of spring wire and fashioned it into a c shape to replace the broken one.

Anyone forsee any problems with my bodgie replacement? Its a saturday over here and nothings open.

I think it should be fine i made sure the joint would not come apart by pulling on it.

Cleaned all the old grease off and re-lubed everything and stuck it back together, didnt see any pieces of the broken circlip anywhere maybe the joint has been serviced before and someone broke it then. :?

Thanks for the help guys. :p

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You don't need to take the cv joint apart (which I think you've realised now) just knock it off with a hammer. The Nissan cv repair kit includes a new circlip, so I assume you aren't using that kit.
You should be ok with your wire repair, as I don't think the cv joint would be able to move far enough to pop over the circlip. I'm sure if you get any strange noises you'll know where to look tho :wink: