Oulton 12th August

antgtir

I was looking at this the other day, it is quite expensive but im sre well worth the money for the amount of enjoyment you get out of it.

Shame its on a Tuesday as i probably would have come down and watched for a bit.

Good luck with it.

Ant.

DanDud

Well what a fantastic day! Weather was a bit on and off, raining then sunny, raining then sunny again. Had a great time though, there was only around 30 cars there so got loooooooooads of track time.

I only managed 4 or 5 flying laps in a row at any one time as my brakes were starting to fade. To be fair though they did take a lot of hammering and they were still slowing the car down enough. Apart from that the car ran fantasticly! Didnt miss a beat! Had a few hairy moments through druids in the wet, only ended up on the grass once lol

I dont know what a good time round the full circuit is but my boss use to race in the fiesta championship (Hes a rediculously quick driver!) and his personal best is a 2.06, i managed a 2.11 with a passenger, and a ferrari 360 challange car there today was avering around the 1.52's. So im fairly happy considering im on Avon ZV'3's which arnt exactly fantastic! They did well though and only started going off when the brakes did.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Well done matey, its good to hear you are getting out in your car. Brake fade on your wilwoods too, that's good going! Was Stu with you? I'm still trying to find a place to hire a car for a track day here but so far no joy. Been busy with work but our place and day to day living are sorted now so you and Stu are still welcome to come over.

P.S.

:useless: :lol::lol:

DanDud

Cheers jim! Nah Stu wasnt able to come to this one, had to go to the physio about his shoulder.

The wilwoods wernt fantastic but they held up, iv got mintex 1155 pads in now, and they are a massive improvement over the poly Q's i had before. As i got use to the circuit i was on the brakes less and they started lasting longer and longer. I also had a bit of smoke/steam from the rears! Never had that before so they were working hard.

The ride height change i made a while ago made the biggest difference though, rears 15mm higher than the front and through the wet patches id plant it out of the corner and the back end would come out, had lots of **** end out action which was fantastic! Suited me down to the ground. When it dried out the car would push on out of the corners but no way near as much as it use to, turn in is excellent and it really felt planted.

Im surprized you havnt found a place to hire anything over there, i would have thought it would be big business over there.

Being busy in work isnt a bad thing matey, a lot of people here are struggling due to the credit crunch. Glad youv sorted your place out atlast, and i really appreciate the offer! Hopefully il be able to take you up on it next year at some point! Il certainly try my best!

Il get some pics up in a bit!:D

P

pulsarboby

well done dan, thats a very respectable time.
what tubby you running on the car?

just read your siggy and it says there:oops:

DanDud

lol cheers bob, yeah its a standard engine and tubby, just various other bits n bobs, made 330bhp and 300lf ft when it was still on the top mount, now its got a front mount and new filter-turbo pipe run it feels a lot quicker so could be making more than that now?

Oh for those times i had a mate in the car with me too, so take him and the back seats out i might have got another second off that time?

antgtir

Dan - Well done mate, looks like you had a great time on track, who wouldn't!

Out of interest what boost are you running to obtain 330bhp / 300lbft torque?

I personally want that kind of power / torque figure so i can enjoy some higher top speeds / acceleration out of the corners on track.

Would prefer to have forged internals to add that extra protection for track use but for now im sticking with standard everything lol.

Decent pics those also.

Ant.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
There are some nice pics there Dan, sounds like you're getting better all the time.

It sounds like all my mindless drivel about ride heights has helped a bit :) If you've not done it yet, you just need Stu's help with the castor mod. I need to say Hello to Stu, not spoken with him for a while.

There are a couple of petrol heads at work who I need to speak with about trackdays but I hope to fit in a few race events first now we are settled.

BY next year I should have got my head round everything you might want to see so just give us a shout. @ Ant and Aimee, same goes for you two as well. You'd be more than welcome to stay over.

DanDud

Ant - Im a 1 bar mong matey :D

Jim - Yeah the next plan of attack is the castor mod and getting the PFC mapped. You need to have a go at Tsukuba in something! A new GTR maybe;) Your right about the suspension setups, Iv tried a few different changes as you suggested and at last i think iv found my happy setup which im going to stick with, with the addition of the castor mod it should be perfect for my driving style. I currently have the rear 15mm higher than the front, -1.4 camber front, -1 camber rear, tracking is parallel on rear, around 4mm total toe in on front. Also have the dampers on full soft, seems to grip a lot better and the tyres were wearing evenly on track which is always a bonus!

PS - Im expecting you to know your way round the Wangan like the back of your hand by the time i come out to visit! :D

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
DanDud said:
The wilwoods wernt fantastic but they held up, iv got mintex 1155 pads in now, and they are a massive improvement over the poly Q's i had before. I also had a bit of smoke/steam from the rears!
Glad you had a good day, sounds like you were putting your brakes through their paces. 8)

Glad you’ve moved away from those rubbish Poly Q pads and got a decent brand/compound! :roll:
If your find that your rears are smoking, then I would look at adding some 55’s to the rear. Granted there not as cheap as standard replacements, but having the 55’s on the rear will make a massive difference when on track. ;-)

Good photo’s too

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
^^^^^^
LOL :)

If one day my motor gets back on the road again then I think I'll take Andy's advice of the 55's all round. Does anyone know how Andy C got on with his rear brake conversion?

Whilst all you gents are on this thread, I thought this might interest you.
I finally found the Japanese equivalent of autotrader.

Use a translator to work your way around

http://www.carsensor.net/

This is my translated link, don't know if it works for you?

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carsensor.net%2F&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Lots of interesting cars to look at for those who like to browse the autorader etc.

Sorry, Now....:focus:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
campbellju said:
Does anyone know how Andy C got on with his rear brake conversion?
It’s funny that you should say that as I am looking into doing something the same, but just not with the Godspeed kit.

Andy's is fitted but he not been out to test it, iirc he had some "grinding" to do and faffing about which doesn't fulfil me with lots of confidence.
:?

antgtir

I was under the impression the Godspeed rear conversion was a straight bolt on job, obviously not.

Ant.