One of my Teins is leaking!

C

Crazy

Went down to my local garage to get the pre-MOT done as it is due in 2 weeks :(

We re-fitted the cat and my car passed on everything but was then told that my rear Tein coilover is leaking a little fluid :evil:

I really love the way my car handles with the coilovers on and after driving a few with standard suspension there is no way I am going back to standard, I called Tein UK but was told that they do not have the equipment to recondition my coilover until August :shock:

Now I am a little stuck :? , do you guys think any other suspension companies would recon the suspension for me or it looks like I am going to have to shell out for some new Teins :( [/b]

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Depending how bad it is and how desperate you are, swap it for something that will pass the MOT, then swap it back. I wouldn't advise driving hard on it tho, as it will affect the handing.

C

Crazy

Yes Fastguy it looks as if we may have to fit 2 standard rear shocks until I can locate some new Teins :wink:

P

PaulG

This might seem stoopid, but you have had a look yourself I presume :?:

I got failed on one of my Front GAB's leaking last year, had a look, and there's wasn't a drip around the seals, it was just the prognosis the dude made as there was traces of fluid nrby, which was caused by a previous powersteering leak :roll: MOT dudes are only human :?

J

J-GTi-R

The biggest problem for other companies would be getting the right rebuild kit (seals, pistons etc). If you want someone to do it, try a motorcyle garage, as bike forks often need rebuilding and most will either be able to do it, or use a local company to do it for them.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Jack the car up and wipe down the shock before your text... :wink:

Mine failed once because a burst CV boot caused spray up all over the shock and so the Nissan MOT tester failed it for a leaking shock(it was brand new!...)

Rishi

C

Crazy

Paul G
This might seem stoopid, but you have had a look yourself I presume

I got failed on one of my Front GAB's leaking last year, had a look, and there's wasn't a drip around the seals, it was just the prognosis the dude made as there was traces of fluid nrby, which was caused by a previous powersteering leak MOT dudes are only human

I had a quick look when it was on the ramps and had a little feel and my fingers did get a lillt sticky and then I asked him would it cause the annoying squeaking nosie as we bounce over bumps and he told that the shock was the cause :shock:

The company TEIN UK have just contacted me and said that they have 2 of my shocks left in stock in Japan and that there will never be any more made and that I can get them for £155 per shock which is all good but they said that I need to order them ASAP to make the next delivery that they are getting which comes to around £300 all in including delivery and stuff.

Or I could get MOT geezer to take my suspension off the car for £50 and then I could send it to the geezer that is going to fix it for £30-£35 and then they send it back to me costing another £30-£50 and then I will have to pay MOT geezer to put them back on the car costing another £50 but I will need to buy some old standard suspension to put on the car until the shocks are sent back which will cost anything from £50-£100 so that comes to nearly £300 as well so now I do not know what to do!

Either way it is going to cost me nearly £250-£300 so what would you do because I might as well buy the new ones and at least I can still drive the car until they come and this way I end with 2 brand new shocks for the same price but for some mad reason they said that I cannot order from them direct I have to order them from a company called Graham Goode (0116 244 0800) who will probably try and put money on top for themselves!

What would you do????????????

E

Edd

Buy the 2 replacement ones for the rear if i were you if they arent making them, then you can get your old 2 fully rebuilt for when they leak next time :shock:

otter

Oh sh!t, that reminds me my mots due in 2weeks and my rear JIC coilover inserts are also leaking! :x
My front ones were leaking but i replaced the whole insert. Cost me £280 gbp for a pair inc delivery from Japan.

They new inserts have been on the car for 1 month and im sure they are already starting to leak.
Maybe its just the rears i can hear :?

C

Crazy

Edd
Buy the 2 replacement ones for the rear if i were you if they arent making them, then you can get your old 2 fully rebuilt for when they leak next time :roll:

For when they leak next time :shock:

Is this a common prob with coilovers :?:

E

Edd

I don't know but all shocks wear over time, and the Birmingham roads aren't the kindest out there, i believe the runway at Bagdag airport has less potholes after bombing that most Birmingham roads :shock:

Just nice to have a spare set to rebuild to as new condition in the future 8)

C

Crazy

Could not get through to Graham Goode so I contacted Tein UK back for details of another supplier and I got the number for another company and for some reason the price jumped from £155ish to £225per shock :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:

I was told because they are no longer in production anymore and because it is a special order the price has to be £225per coilover :cry:

It looks like this months wages is going to take a bashing TAX/MOT/Teinsx2 :shock: :cry: :oops: and just to make things worse I got home from work to find a speeding ticket/fine that has just come through in the post because I got a little carried away on the way back from PowerStation last week when they fitted my new Turbo :x

C

Crazy

After a long call on the phone to Tein the full price including VAT and special delivery charges is £667 :shock: :shock:

Yes £667 :x :evil:

FUKC THAT!

I can get a brand new set of four for £899, but as usual they have none in stock at Tein UK and if they order them from Japan they are going to charge me £150 for special delivery :shock: :shock: :x :evil:

Looks like I am on the look out for some good coilovers, anyone know any good ones :?:

C

Crazy

Just got off the phone to Jennifer at RC Developments and they can recondition the coilover for me for around £150 :p :D :p which is all good 8)

Think I will wait until the weekend before removing the coilover and so that I can get another company or 2 to check the coilover as I remember my MOT geezer telling me the suspension on my Cav Turbo was fukced as well only to find out the top mounts were incorrectly fitted after I had bought & fitted Koni inserts :(

Maybe its because he has a 400bhp Ecsort Cosworth that needed £150 worth of work to get it through the MOT and my GTiR needed nothing but the cat re-fitting :wink:

Or maybe thats just me with some wishful thinking :p :D

otter

Is that £150 each shock absorber or for the pair?? Inc VAT?

If its for the pair then i may aswell just get my rears re-sealed and re-gased. :?

GINGA

Is this a common prob with coilovers
Yes as as they are designed for track use they don't normally have any form of dirt covers over them so all the road grit/dirt gets straight onto the shock and wears out the seals very quickly :shock:
thought it would be simple enough to make a set off dirt covers for them with something like a universal steering rack boot etc

C

Crazy

Is that an offer Ginga??? :wink:

Yes Otter it is £150 per shock :shock: but it is better than buying 2 new ones 8) for over £600 :!: