oil from turbo

ashills

right people need to know what u recon
ive got the jgy 37 ball bearing turbo garret core etc
the boost hose to the IC came off the other day when i was at full boost at 7.5k rpmand there was oil in the compressor housing i thought it had just been cause of the over run of the turbo
but now when im upping the boost its still letting oil into pipe work as im getting a thine film in the pipes and when i back off after boosting its letting a puff of smoke it seems a little worse than the other day and i need to know whether to leave it and hope it doesnt get worse ( it only does it after ive boosted )
or do i try and get a new core from some one over here (if it can be done as im worried it will let more and more oil though
( and its gotta be back on the car by friday either way )

moved to problem...zia

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I saw this of Passion Ford yesterday, I don't know if it could be similar, what boost are you running?

turbinator said:
cossie400 said:
a mate of mine had his cossie on the rollers today at engine advantages and made 550bhp@ 28 psi of boost :top: trouble is he was aiming a bit higher but when the boost was uped all you'd get is alot of compresor stall. what would cause this? his spec is gt35, rs500 inlet, 8 greens, 7:2.1 comp, grp a ported head, bd16 inlet and bd14 exhaust cam. the only thing we can think of is the exhaust cam is to small because the air is getting in but can't consume it into the exhaust quick enough causing the turbo to stall? any input would be apprieciated thanks.
well .. i think i can explain the reason .. and also the reason I dont use rollerbearing turbo's above 400 bhp!

the problem is in the design if you ask me, we have tried 5 engines with rollerbearing turbo's for rally purposes (2 cosworth and 3 evo 7 engines)

they all went bang because of the rollerbearings being eaten by the engine, after some research it showed that the axle was giving way when you go off throttle (up and above 2 bar or 28 psi or more)
this seems to wreck the rollerbearing and since going off throttle happens a lot on a rally car :roll: the engines never made it to the finish line..

and we quit using them in the rally because we like to make it to the finish line :cool:

garett only gives support up to 2.6 bar (1.6 bar absolute)..
which is to low for the rally..

nowadays it seems you can get hybrid ones which should do better but i am not trying anymore ;)
Taken from this thread.

zia

how about whipping the housings off and having look at the seals? normally would of thought that new turbo would,ve blown it seal out this soon? you, didn,t try running 2 bar did you?

zia

ashills

no ive reached 1.6 bar and the turbo wont flow anymore as i think the actuator is to soft so im gonna stiffen it up while engines off for new box to go in
when u say about the seals can these just be pushed back in do u know or is it a strip down etc as im in a real rush to get it back together and need info LOL

E

Edd

I think you need bolt on 3037 power if you move your rad forward :wink:

A

Anonymous

have you got an oil seperator fitted and set up correctly :?:
i had real problems with oil build up as well until i discovered that my oil seperator had all it`s hoses in all the wrong places :evil: :evil:

Keira

oap-r said:
have you got an oil seperator fitted and set up correctly :?:
i had real problems with oil build up as well until i discovered that my oil seperator had all it`s hoses in all the wrong places :evil: :evil:
Think this could be your problem al, me and dave were talking about it after hickstead, theres some weird sh!t going on with your breather hoses :shock: :lol:

either that or i've been right all the time and it really is a shed :( :wink: :lol:

ashills

my breather doesnt go back into inlet pipe so that wipes that out fellas i recon its probably cause i havent got a restrictor in the oil inlet and the over spool of the turbo must have done the seal in

Keira

dave was saying he spotted some weird one valve or something on one of the breathers, said he mentioned it to ed, Might be best to speak to him and see what he was on about, even if it just counts it out completely, its at least one less thing to worry about.

I dont run mine to the intake and have never had any bother even when i do a sly one and turn the boost up abit :wink:

A

Anonymous

ashills said:
my breather doesnt go back into inlet pipe
doesn`t have to :shock:
if you have a hose coming from the rocker to the seperator,then the bottom of the seperator back to the crankcase it finds it`s way back to the inlet.i only found this out when someone that knew what he was doing had a look at it and sorted it :wink:

i think you end up pressurising the crankcase which forces the oil past your turbo oil seals into the inlet side.

he re-routed the hoses and put in a little catch tank(plastic bottle) and the problem disappeared :D

GINGA

oap-r said:
ashills said:
my breather doesnt go back into inlet pipe
doesn`t have to :shock:
if you have a hose coming from the rocker to the seperator,then the bottom of the seperator back to the crankcase it finds it`s way back to the inlet.i only found this out when someone that knew what he was doing had a look at it and sorted it :wink:

i think you end up pressurising the crankcase which forces the oil past your turbo oil seals into the inlet side.

he re-routed the hoses and put in a little catch tank(plastic bottle) and the problem disappeared :D
Or you can just disconnect/block the little pipe that goes from the rocker cover(by the oil filler) to the inlet manifold :wink: this will loose the engines recirculation breather function but you won't get any oil in the inlet manifold :wink:

zia

unfourtunely if the seals have moved out from the respective places you,ll have to strip the turbo done and fit new ones (best give it to td to do) was oil present before pipe came off? there is another way to check if its blow by problem!

zia

ashills

there was no oil before the pipe came off as i had recently altered pipework
what the other way of telling
is it likely to hold for a while do u think as its going back on the car tomorrow if its gonna be ok

geetee

I suspect it is gonna be a re-seal of the turbo. You've probaby over run it for an instant when the IC pipe came of. BB turbos don't like being overrun.

On the up side, it probably won't get much worse very quickly as long as you have that IC pipe sorted :wink: You'll just leave little spats of oil on the Scooby paintwork and windscreens for a while - haha - they can't catch you if they can't see :)

Thn again you may need a full rebuild of the tubby :(

Better get stronger jubilee clips if you wanna do silly boost :)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

ashills

yeah getting mikalors sorted fot the piping and welding rings on the end of the stainless and ali pipes to act as swaged ends
just hop the turbo holds as i wanna change it over the winter but hanvent got time now

zia

unlucky dude must have been the overspeeding when pipe came off !! what condition are the blade in?

zia