noisy engine

E

Evo Eater

got problems im very worried it could be the small ends.
i just done the valve timing that seems right, but when you rev it on tick over you get a tapping noise. and when you drive it and release my foot off the throttle it taps. it sounds like its piking but it's not. i noticed my cams are worn would the noise come from that. please any help would be appreciated. thanks :( :(

E

Evo Eater

yes i've checked them. they seem right, if they are wrong could that be the problem.

cojack

tappets but if ur cams are worn u will need to do both cams and tappets. if u just replace the tappets they soon wear out in a few months :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Could be the main (crank) bearings. They are supposed to rattle when you come off the throttle if you blip it.
I've had big end bearings go before, but they made a nocking noise on start up till the pressure built up.
I'm not sure when small ends make a noise as I've never had them go, at a guess they'd be similar to big ends maybe?

E

Evo Eater

if the tappets are worn and the cams are worn would it tapp like that

E

Evo Eater

it make's a quick knocking noise for about 1/2 second then clears

cojack

when tappets got they do sound like pinking u just dont need to be driving to hear them. try getting the engine stinking hot then change the oil and filter somtimes cures it

E

Evo Eater

that sounds right mate when you walk away from the car you can hear it tapping. i will try what you said mate thanks

J

jiw

heres some advice for you, this is from experience, i had a cav sri a while ago, it developed a tapping noise, sounded like the tappets, i replaced the hydraulic lifter's cams and follower's, the noise was still their, i kept on driving the car and eventually it blew itself to bit's, turned out to be a big end shell, it only sounded like a tap as it was the piston hitting the head :shock:

cost me big time because i didnt fix the problem at the first sign, dont leave it to get worse, find the problem and fix it :D

taking it out for a drive and showing it who is boss does not work believe me, lol

E

Evo Eater

if i change the rockers will i have to change the shims. because the rockers look slighty worn. also i got hks cams to go in.

J

jiw

No mate you change the shims to take up the wear on the rocker's etc, if you change the rocker's you need to re-shim too, jeff