no gears

R

r5ben

:( right m8s ive got no gears on my R what happened was i was drivin home one night in traffic about 30mph and changed normal from 2nd into 3rd and it would not go in ??? i had to pull to the side of the road and its been like that ever since ???
the car will go in every gear cleanly when the engine is turned off but none at all when the engine is runnin ?
ive changed the clutch master cylinder and slave and all the pipes and its had a clutch ,flywheel and relese bearing in the last 1000 miles ??
what do i need to look for now ?? gear box ?? but what parts ??

mattygti-r

that sounds like a box problem, if youve had a new clutch

bit odd it will select when off then not when the car is on

oh btw youve a pm would appreciate a reply :wink:

S

skar

If it takes gears fine while the engine is off then its definately your clutch, same thing happened to me when my clutch died, only, i launched it with 4 passengers :oops:

get someone to depress the clutch while youre looking at the clutch slave, if its pushing fine and there are no oil leaks then i hope you got a warranty with the clutch bro... :cry:

kon

p.s. if you're in desperate need to move it, pop it in first while its off, clutch in and turn it over till u get movin... then rev match gears all the way home. It's not exactly healthy for your starter motor tho, so only do that at your own risk

E

Edd

yeh definitely the clutch by sounds of it :wink:

wasn't an exedy clutch by any chance :shock: :lol:

R

r5ben

the clutch arm is moving fine and the slave is ok no leaks etc
to get it home i started it in gear on the starter and when it got going the car ran fine it was just as if the clutch cable had snaped ( i know they dont have cables :wink: )
the clutch is a ap racing one and a fidenza flywneel and new release bearing :?
so dont you lot think its the box ?
could it be the input shaft bearings ??

K

kizzyturbo4x4

the input bearing my have broken.
or even the clucth arm/fork has broken.
ive seen this happen on an r before...
the slave sylinder arm was split in two!! :shock: :shock:

R

r5ben

the clutch arm looks like its working ok ?? and the slave seems to be movin as it should anyone know anythin about gear boxs ??

O

Olly

first things first has the clutch pedal slave cylinder been adjusted (at the rod end) to get complete clucth leverage??????, before you lot of jokers go scaring the poor chap 8) Is there any freeply at the top of the pedal shoud have 2 - 3mm of dead travel? If there isn't complete leverage then the new clutch will struggle to disengage drive and you will have trouble getting gears. Who did the work will they look at it or do they have small R experience?? 8)

O

one Gti-R

I would almost bet that its your Clutch pedal bracket.

hard bastard to fix aswell.

it sounds like you have just cracked the bracket not snapped right through.

you will find that if you put a longer imput shaft into the slave you will JUST be able to grab gears, but the problem sounds like your not getting enough throw. the longer shaft will help a little but its no means a fix to your problem. we made up one roughtly 1 inch longer than standard and we were just able to grab gears as a similar thing just happened to a mates one here had us stumped for hours.

I personally would get the bracket checked.

better getting it done know before it snaps completely and your stuck in a similar problem to mattygti-r

S

skar

same thing happened to me today... had the new clutch in only for about 1000 and now wouldnt select gears with engine on.

had to drop the steering column and remove the dash to get to the friggin adjusting rod off the clutch pedal... be ready to swear alot and absolutely rape your knuckles if you attempt this.

owning an R can get so frustrating... :cry:

R

r5ben

how do you adjust the slave ??? everythin looks ok with the bracket but ill double check this :? it feels and looks as if everythin is working but not as good as is should like it all needs adjusting proper so how do i do that
so are you lot saying its not the gearbox ?? :D

mattygti-r

my bracket took 15,ooo miles then it went, but you wont know until it goes, really

car feels much more solid to drive now

you wont be able to really tell about the bracket until u take all the dash out etc like in mine above and have a good look

sounds like the problem i had with mine :cry:

S

skar

Olly said:
first things first has the clutch pedal slave cylinder been adjusted (at the rod end) to get complete clucth leverage??????, before you lot of jokers go scaring the poor chap 8) Is there any freeply at the top of the pedal shoud have 2 - 3mm of dead travel? If there isn't complete leverage then the new clutch will struggle to disengage drive and you will have trouble getting gears. Who did the work will they look at it or do they have small R experience?? 8)

You can adjust the slave?? i pulled out my whole dash and steering column to adjust the rod coming from the master... please dont tell me i did all that for nothing :oops:

ben: if you start the car in 1st gear with the clutch depressed does it creep forward slowly? i think Olly is on the ball

R

r5ben

nope the braket is ok :cry:
when i start the car in gear its as if the clutch dont work and it just pulls forword like it should
the top and bottom of it is my clutch dont work at all :? and i need to know if im right and its the clutch or wrong and its somethin in the gear box but i dont know anythin about gearboxs :cry:

R

r5ben

is there anyway of adjusting the clutch ?? can it be done on the rod to the clutch master cylyinder ??

A

ard1ey

Yes, if you get under there with a torch and have a look there's a locknut on the end of the cylinder rod. Loosen that and you can screw the rod in or out to adjust the movement of the clutch.