New R owner - low oil pressure

CruiseGTi-R

The oil pressure, when warmed up, reads just under 2bar regardless of whether at 2k or above 3k.

Then coming to a halt or idling it drops to zero.

When cold on start up it barely gets to 1 then does a weird up and down thing between zero and 1 until warmed.

No oil pressure lights though, would they definitely come on if there was a problem?

Boosts spot on at no more than 0.6bar, oil temperature sits at about 80-90oC.

Any ideas, literally only just bought the thing.... :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Does your oil pressure light come on with the engine turned off? If so then that is working fine.

Check your oil level is ok for starters.

Do you know what oil is in the engine, you'll need a 10/40minimum, upto 10 or15/50,unless you live somewhere very cold when a 5/40 or above will do.

The best bet would be to get a mechanical oil pressure gauge fitted and see what it reads. That should confirm wether your oil pressure is ok or not.

Does the engine make any knocking noises when it starts up? that would tend to confirm low oil pressure and worn bearings :(

CruiseGTi-R

The oil pressure warning light does not come on when the engine is off, only the "engine check" light.

Is it easy to replace/check the oil pressure warning light bulb?

The oil level is fine and the engine doesn't make any knocking noises on start up or under load.

Going to change oil and filter tomorrow.

Are external oil pressure gauges universal, i.e. will Halfords (about my best bet on a Sunday) stock one I can use? How much ish.

Great way to start r ownership...

CruiseGTi-R

Took out the dash to check the oil pressure warning light was working.....found that it was missing/had been taken out :shock:

When I replaced the bulb it stays on with the engine on, gauge still reading zero at idle.

Changed oil and filter, no difference.

Checking pressure mechanically tomorrow, but surely with the light on the dash this confirms that the gauge isn't at fault (light comes off seperate signal right?)

Dealer who I bought from is being excellent about it, to be booked in at Nissan tomorrow for a look.

Is it ok to drive there, about 10 miles to dealer, pressure does raise when driving to just under 2 bar so oil is going round at least.

Spent my first day with the car, under the car, bodes well for R ownership! Everytime I look at the front end I forgive it though....

J

jiw

The pressure warning light and gauge will both be working off the pressure sensor, large 2 wire (blue and yellow iirc) sensor which is located near the oil filter, should be ok if you are getting 2 bar of oil pressure, you will soon know if you are being dangerous as the top end will sound like a bag of spanners :oops: just be careful :wink:

P

petegtir

stick your head under the car and see if the sump looks like it is dented. this could be causing the oil pickup to fail to get enough oil. other than that it must be a duff oil pump or the pressure sender is duff.

good luck