Mines ecu fitted, but det sensor error on ecu and hesitiation

olliecast

Mines ecu fitted - hesitiation sorted, now trying to notice difference with blazt

morning!
slight anti climax today after fitting my mines ecu, seems to be hesitiating heavily sometimes when on boost.

i upped the boost to 1.1 also and it held for a second then resetted back to 0.8.
it seems to hold 1 bar ok so i`m guessing this may be wastegate cracks, however:

i`ve check for fault codes and its giving fault 34, det sensor (on blatz). now its saying the car has been started 4 times since the code arrived so could it be that i have could the wires when installing my wideband yesterday or could i possible have det because of the ignition advance of the mines unit??
the mines unit is giving an afr of 12 all the way to redline (think i`ve got a mines with no bloody rev limiter!)
with my standard ecu it`d start at 12.5 then richen up to 11 at redline.

the mines unit doesn`t feel as torquey as standard ecu either.

mods are,
mines ecu,
fmic,
2.5" turbo back
k&n
evc 4 set to 1 bar
innovate wideband

not sure whether to put the old ecu back on and see it it runs ok on this?

what do you guys think?

cheers ollie :sad::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

First of all clear the codes / disconnect the battery then try again, however have you got a Fuel pump?

Also consider this - as some don't agree with me but bear it in mind at least. Quite often I have setup cars on a spec near on identical to you. I can't take it further than 1 bar before it starts leaning out beyond what I would be comfortable with (i.e. AFR >12.8:1 ish). Consider that yours may be doing the same. Its not a great situation to be in.

Ed

olliecast

Micra Ed said:
First of all clear the codes / disconnect the battery then try again, however have you got a Fuel pump?

Also consider this - as some don't agree with me but bear it in mind at least. Quite often I have setup cars on a spec near on identical to you. I can't take it further than 1 bar before it starts leaning out beyond what I would be comfortable with (i.e. AFR >12.8:1 ish). Consider that yours may be doing the same. Its not a great situation to be in.

Ed
hi ed
i`ve got a walbro fuel pump.
my setup doesn`t seem to be leaning out at all as my afr is richening up the further it goes up the rev range (more so on standard ecu, mines is ~12)
my afr on wide open throttle never goes above 12.5 and if anything averages 12 with the mines ecu installed (was considerably richer with the standard ecu)

surely if there wasn`t enough fuel being supplied then the afr gauge would become leaner?

i`ve checked the wiring to my det sensor and all seems to be fine.

could it just be luck that my det sensor has gone at this moment in time?

cheers, ollie

youngsyp

First thing I'd do go over the leads, plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm, and check fuel pressure.
When was the last time the fuel filter, plugs and ignition consumables were replaced ?
If this is all fine,you could put the old ecu back on and reset the boost level to what it was pre- Mines. Run it for a few days and monitor the 34 code (or any other code). That will confirm whether it's the Mines ecu or not.
If the fault code table stays clear, turn the boost back up to 1.1 bar and see how it runs for a while.
If this all stays clear, stick the Mines ecu back on and do some data logging with Datascan. Then go from there.

I personally think the Mines ecu is a red Herring. And something else has failed in the meantime.

Paul

olliecast

cheers for that youngysp,
i changed the leads, dizzy and rotor arm less than 1000 miles ago so i`m condident i can rule that out.
whats the best method to check the fuel pressure? the wideband readings seem to be fine but would that change with an error in fuel pressure?

i have resetted the ecu with my laptop but am yet to drive the car again (at a friends having a few cheeky beers) so i`ll try tomorrow.
is it worth logging with the mines unit and seeing if the fault re occurs? if it does then refer back to the standard ecu?

P

pulsarboby

if the mines has no rev limit then you may have one of a faulty batch that were made!
there were some that came off the line with no limiters and these are responsible for a few engines being blown apart.
dont know if anything can be done with them tbh but if thats the case and you do have one of these then i would slap it on ebay if i were you and let someone else have the probs with it, not worth risking your engines life with it

olliecast

pulsarboby said:
if the mines has no rev limit then you may have one of a faulty batch that were made!
there were some that came off the line with no limiters and these are responsible for a few engines being blown apart.
dont know if anything can be done with them tbh but if thats the case and you do have one of these then i would slap it on ebay if i were you and let someone else have the probs with it, not worth risking your engines life with it
what should the rev limit be on them?
i only rev mine to about 7k worse case anyway so had to drop it into neutral and rev it any way to see if it had one or not. it revv`ed to about 8.5k so i let off so i`m guesing this don`t have one?

cheers
ollie

P

pulsarboby

sounds like you have a dicey one there ollie! be very carefull or you WILL throw all your rockers

olliecast

pulsarboby said:
sounds like you have a dicey one there ollie! be very carefull or you WILL throw all your rockers
well i`m glad that i don`t rev any near that then cause i wouldn`t be happy doing it anyways!
looks like i`m going to have to find another way of limiting the revs in a worst case scenario. i know the chip in my 1.8t golf removed the rev limit but now this car revs alot harder i`d like to have a failsafe in place, any ideas of a system to use (without buying another ecu unit!).

Fusion Ed

The car will have a rev limiter at some point. There are two RPM limiters within the stock ECU. The highest either can be is 12750 RPM. I have seen it common that one of these be moved to the max value, and then the other to say 8100. It would be interesting to see one of these mines with a rev-limit 'removed', to see what has actually been done to it.

olliecast

Micra Ed said:
The car will have a rev limiter at some point. There are two RPM limiters within the stock ECU. The highest either can be is 12750 RPM. I have seen it common that one of these be moved to the max value, and then the other to say 8100. It would be interesting to see one of these mines with a rev-limit 'removed', to see what has actually been done to it.
ed where abouts are you? do you have the software to do the viewing you want?

going to put the original back in in a minute and see if the det code 34 re appears.

KF79GTIR said:
Flog the mines unit and spend the cash on having your standard ecu remapped to the spec you want. Kev.
i don`t really want to be having to spend upwards of 300 pound on a remap when i`m not going to be going above 1.1/1.2 bar (looking at running standard tubby till it spits its **** anyway)

heard some good things on here about the mines unit so i`m keen to give it a chance really.

cheers ollie

olliecast

been out in the car today, i put the original ecu back in and all seems well. :-D

i think the det sensor code it was throwing was due to the ecu harness not being screwed into the ecu properly. it gave an ignition circuit code initially and the det sensor code. It did this on both the mines and standard ecu when i didn`t screw the securing screw in enough (the car turned over but didn`t fire).
i screwed the harness in a few more turns and it started fine with no codes reported.

I`ve done ~ 50 miles in it today and it`s boosting fine and still has no codes.

the boost is set at ~1.1 bar and seems to be boosting fine and the afr starting at about 12 then richening up to ~11 / 11.3 at red line (standard ecu and map).

i`ve ran the blatz software for a power run so what do i specifically need to pay attention to on the data? or would you now put the mines unit back in and try again? (not sure if the ecu having thrown a code would change the way in which it operates)

cheers in advance,
ollie

olliecast

been doing some mapping tonight and it seems the mines unit timing is different to the standard ecu. have a look and see what you think. this is a 3rd gear pull, i`ve aligned the revs and time so the data points are taken at exactly the same time.
what do people make of that?
i used the same road and same 100% wot point (use the tps sensor on the blatz to know when it was 100%)
i`ve also got plots for airflow against time, revs against time and duty cycles against time. these showed no clear difference.

i`m currently plotting my wideband comparison

Attachments

Last edited:

lakeview

ive driven a few gtirs with mines ecus and everyone of them drives differently. limiter cuts in at 8400 cars that go past that could have had the ecu tampered with in someway to cause that,out of interest i swapped ecus over in my cars the one with mines ecu set up would not drive well at all with standard ecu, and putting the mines ecu in the other car it just would not run smoothly.

rob

olliecast

lakeview said:
ive driven a few gtirs with mines ecus and everyone of them drives differently. limiter cuts in at 8400 cars that go past that could have had the ecu tampered with in someway to cause that,out of interest i swapped ecus over in my cars the one with mines ecu set up would not drive well at all with standard ecu, and putting the mines ecu in the other car it just would not run smoothly.

rob
its not that it doesn`t now drive smoothly (i`ve now cleared the fault codes and its smooth :doh:), its just i`m not sure how its affected it.

any more opinions?

just looking and if the mines unit is developed for higher octance fuel, i.e. 100 ron. then surely the timing should be advanced due to the higher octance fuel taking longer to burn?

can`t get me head around why the mines unit is less advanced than standard

Last edited:

olliecast

ashills said:
they normally run 3-5 degrees more on the stage 1 ecus from japan
by more you mean before tdc, i.e. a greater number?

the graph below is my afr of the mines unit overlayed onto the standard ecu. as you can see, the standard ecu is richer than the mines unit (mines ecu is the green line) until later in the rev range when the standard appears to lean out slightly
what can cause this as when i plotted duty cycle and airflow of the two ecu`s, they appeared to be equal. can spark advance effect mixture?

cheers, ollie

Attachments

Last edited:

olliecast

rite, been for a drive yesterday with boost set at 1.1 bar. when the car was rev`ed its a definate improvement with definate more pull.
i increased the resolutions on the graphs i plotted and a difference is noticeable.
i`ve now got this ecu bug so i think i`m going to have a go a programming myself. found a good daughterboard to get for aus so see how long it takes to blow me car up!

lessons learnt to always check me fault codes and drive the car in different scenarios before making assessments

Last edited: