max oil temps...

andygtir

there seems to be lots of conflicting arguements out there as to the maximum safe running temperatures for the engine oil.

i've been told that 90 degrees is about normal, but much over 100 degress and the oil will start to degrade.

however...i've just bought the millers cfs 10w60 and it says in the literature that it 'can handle continuous temperatures of 125 centigrade, with intermittent running to 150 centigrade without causing distress.'

so as long as the oil can cope with the higher running temperatures does this mean that the engine itself would be happy to run all day at 125degrees[?]

andy

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
There is an optimum temperature for oil to work at in a piston engine,(can't remember if it's about 95degs) The problem with oil if it gets to hot is it starts to fume, ie turns to vapour then you have problems. I wouldn't have though a decent synthetic engine oil would have problems at sensible temps and personally I won't bother changing oil if it gets abit too hot, although I know some poeple will.
I wouldn't realy like the engine to run at 125degs all day tho as coolant also has an optimum temperature to work at as well(85degs? might have got the two mixed up, can't remember[:I]) and I think 125 is too hot for continuous running. Your thermostat should keep temps down tho.
Excess heat is what kills engines and components, so it's best to keep to as near optimum temps as possible I reckon.

J

jasegould

But isnt Milers a race spec oil? Hence its higher working temp?
I doubt Halfords own brand would make the same claims

Ooooohh...its black..yawn..with 17'S..yawn..mongoose..yawn...zzzzzzzzz...BUT NOT FOR LONG!!!!!!!!!!