is my turbo on it' s way out?

A

Anonymous

Hi every1,

been havin a prob with my R for about a month now, when i put my foot to the floor in 2nd i get a strange sort of popping/misfirey sort of a sound, the weird thing is it's only been doing it since i had a new clutch put in, also my standard turbo gauge needle is stuck in the middle of the guage, can anyone help me pleeeaaaasssse????

GTIR-LOZ

are you actually getting any boost sounds like an airflow prob, have youj blow a pipe of anything or left one off after the clutch change

A

Anonymous

yeah everything's hooked backed up and it's boosting o.k (expept for the fact that my now dump valve wobbles :cry: ) iv'e also tried stp injector cleaner just in case it was that but no joy. when it does it, it almost feels like chunks of something are being fired from exhuast!

zia

does it missfire at any other rev range or gearchange. the r normally pops and farts due to unburnt mixture in the exhaust.

zia

A

Anonymous

nah it only does it in second which seems a liitle strange to me :?: thing is it doesn't seem to be getting any worse or any better

B

Brett G

Hey Andy I'm not sure what the problem could be but I would of thought that you can rule out your turbo as it wouldn't be just happening in 2nd gear. My turbo has been replaced just recently and the symptoms of a dying turbo were in my case:
Loss of boost (noticable loss of power),
Turbo very loud and whistely,
Blue smoke under constant boost.
Good luck in finding the cause tho mate, let us know :wink:

B

Brett G

Appart from the noises from the exhaust is the car still running normally in second??

S

si.c R

It may be coincidence but my car made similar popping noises on boost when i added redex injector cleaner. Drove the car really hard :twisted: to use up the tank of fuel that was in there and afterwards it didnt seem to be popping any more. I wondered whether it was bits of dirt from the fuel lines or injectors igniting :?:

A

Anonymous

hey dudes,

i think i've sussed it 8) , someone recomended that i tried slick 50 fuel treatment and so i got a bottle and my caR seems to be running a whole lot better all round now the popping hasn't stopped completly but it is definalty only now a fraction as bad as it was, i think i'll try another bottle of slick 50 in a month or so and see if that finishes the job once and for all

cheers guy's :D

J

JamesB

dunno about the turbo prob but the boost gauge sittin in the middle is probably the vacuum line blown off the sensor box. i had the same prob

G

gotoinstant-redline

JamesB said:
dunno about the turbo prob but the boost gauge sittin in the middle is probably the vacuum line blown off the sensor box. i had the same prob
any you can lose boost to this too! have a good dig around a make sure there are no lose pipes..

if you dump valve is lose then bolt it to something! even using large cable ties will help. if it is flapping around then its possible that its leaking boost some times..

can you explain the symptons a bit more..
you say its in second but you dont say weather if its on throttle, on or off boost, coming off the trottle and at what revs.
if you can fil in them blanks for us then we can have a better idea of whats going on.

fuel pump springs to mind too. ah and fuel filter!
hundreds of times i have fixed duff cars with just a new fuel filter!

L.