Is a Power FC too much? Alternatives?

G

GTI-R Kid

With the return of our car drawing closer :)pray: ), we've been considering some form of fuel controller so the car can safely run on the crap 95 octane that is so common over here. Would also be able to knock back the rich running a tad so ease the fuel bills, while still having the engine in a safe condition.

With this in mind I asked our engine builder about the fitting of a Unichip, thinking this was probably one of the cheapest and easiest options available to us. I've seen that quite a few of the members have/had these fitted for up to, and over, 350bhp. With our target being a modest 300bhp it sounded like it might fit the bill ..... until I found out the cost! I was told that to have a Unichip supplied and fitted (don't know if it included mapping, but I suspect not) I would be looking at about €700. :doh: He told me that for that sort of money I'd be much better off getting an Apexi Power FC for the car, as it would only be about another €300 on top and would be a much better investment for future tuning.

Let me point out at this stage that the builder doesn't actually supply Power FC's, being a Dastek, Motec etc agent, so I knew that his advice wasn't based on lining his pockets a little more. He couldn't even point me to a dealer, instead suggesting that I try my many sources on the net and around the globe.

Now considering that we're only aiming for 300bhp, a power output that even a standard car should easily manage with a few choice modifications, would a Power FC be overkill in the extreme? Granted we might some day down the line want more power, and having an FC fitted would mean we could easily add a bigger AFM, injectors, cams, turbo etc, but since neither of us has driven a car with more than 200bhp in about 4 years :faint: , we feel that 300bhp should be plenty to keep us happy for some time to come.

I've been browsing through previous threads, reading up on the Power FC, GReddy eManage and Ultimate, Unichip, Apexi S-AFC etc, and many of the people asking about these units are aiming for much higher power than ourselves. Which is why I'm now wondering what route would make most sense for us. Sure, I love the idea of being able to say I have a stand-alone ECU down the pub, but do I really have any need for it at all? I'm finding it difficult to work out if its really worth the expense for what we want. Would a fuel controller on its own be a good idea? Do I even need to get a controller for the fuel with such a modest output?

The spec is lining up something like whats below, so would a fuel controller be a good idea? What about an FPR? Is an FC just too much or would it be justified in how well the car would run after? Please help people, as I'm really unsure what route to take now to achieve what we want.

Rebuilt engine
87mm JE pistons
1.2mm Cometic head gasket
ARP rod bolts
ARP head studs
Lightened, balanced & knife-edged crank
Lightened & balanced flywheel
Head skimmed but no porting or polishing
All gaskets and necessary bearings replaced
RPS Max Street clutch
Standard T28 turbo
VTA dump-valve
BIIIIIG K&N filter mounted on more direct piping and behind passenger headlamp
Hybrid style front mount intercooler
Mocal 16 row oil cooler front mounted
Walbro 255l/hr fuel pump
Oil catch can
Denso 1 grade colder plugs
New Nissan HT leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap
Polished inlet manifold, plenum chamber, exhaust manifold & dump-pipe
Manifold, dump-pipe and entire Mongoose exhaust heat wrapped
Blitz SBC-iD III boost controller

We're thinking of running max boost of 1.2-1.3 bar and hoping that this will help us to break the 300bhp barrier - anyone think this is realistic? Engine should be ready to be re-assembled in a few weeks, so really need to get everything together now so it'll be up and running as soon as possible.:help:

G

GTI-R Kid

Should also mention that the engine will also have a new water pump and oil pump gears, along with getting the starter and alternator reconditioned as a precautionary measure.;-)

O

Odin

Personally I think to just run 300bhp on an engine like that would be a crime :shock: , I'd be looking at least 350-400bhp you don't have to use it all the time do you ;-) , Why pay out good money to get it mapped to 300bhp when getting it mapped for 350-400bhp wouldn't cost you anymore money apart from a big enough turbo that is :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

As for the Power FC it can be hard to set up right and you need someone local that can map it properly mate, Steve pudney just sold his because he couldn't find anybody local that he trusted to map it, He's gone for the E-manage ultimate instead which has more than enough features for your needs and keeps all the Nissan cold start and idle control 8) , Which is something my Motec doesn't have :oops: :cry: .

Ant there pretty cheap if you buy it from the same place Steve did ;-) .

http://www.mohdparts.com/emanage/index.html#How To Install the E-manage On Your Car

Or you could just use the HKS super AFR if you liked or the Apexi AFR it's up to you fella, If you where defo going to stick to your 300bhp level but I suspect not :lol: :lol: , Why pay out twice ? :? , I'd go for the best you can afford at the time mate that way your will be future proof if you know what I mean :thumbsup: .

Rob

O

Odin

cmng said:
thundergod

my friend motec dont have cold start issue
but it is M800 on GTiR
Oh yes they do fella, I've had my M48PRO fitted for about 4 years now and I can tell you that your speaking out your backside ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: .

To be honest it doesn't bother me to much this time of year, But it can be a right pain in the ar5e over winter when everytime you stop the bl00dy thing stalls on you and has to be restarted :doh: :cry: , Untill it has warmed up which takes a few miles :oops: .

Rob

Fazz

Pretty impressive reply by thudergod.

Have been thinking along the same lines myself, and the emanage does seem to do the job.
Also the blue vs uiltimate - can't find major improvements myself but I only glanced so far.

Same question thou, need a good mapper for whichever ecu bought so u may want to look around your area Rob to see.

I'm pretty sure Martin @ Westward maps the emanage, he also does the Power FC too.
And then there's TDP for Apexi or other options. (Omex)

Not sure on mappers in the Cork area thou...

Looks like the Emanage would be better than just a fuel controller and more or less the same price.
So I'd go with that if I were you.

Alternative is the Apexi -AFC whcih I know of one going for sale for handy cash if you are interested drom a pm. Its the i not the ii.

A

AJ4

Thunder God said:
Steve pudney just sold his because he couldn't find anybody local that he trusted to map it

Thanks a lot ! :roll: :lol:

O

Odin

D-Fens said:
Thanks a lot ! :roll: :lol:

Yeah I defo wouldn't let you anywhere near my motor ether matey :der: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

cmng

emm i think my friend have it for 2 year

or maybe our weather here not such cold as your side there

rayman75

could he run 350-400 on 95 ron, or could that be all setup properly on the ecu?

fuel controller wise i would recommend both e-manages coz there alot cheaper than the powerfc and do the same thing if not better.

G

GTI-R Kid

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thundergod - one of the best posts I've seen from you in a bit, so thanks for the information. :thumbsup: True, it does seem a little criminal to "only" go for 300bhp, but with the amount of money thats been sunk into the car this year we really don't have much left over for doing anything turbo wise. :oops: And money is kinda the reason I've put up this post. If we really NEEDED a Power FC then I'm sure I could do a bit more overtime to cover the cost of it, but if its overkill then why kill myself in the process? And AFR could maybe do the job, and flogged on fleabay later to pay towards the FC. Map wise - see the reply to Fazz below.

You see, not only do we have the car to fix, there's also other major expenses this year that can't be avoided, so all money has to be stretched and accounted for. Splashing out €1k on a Power FC when its not strictly necessary just couldn't happen. I couldn't justify it to herself, or myself! New turbo etc can happen next year when the wallet has recovered.;-)

Fazz - I've already been talking to Martin about the Power FC and he thought it was a good idea/investment. I wasn't aware that he could map the eManage, so I think another phonecall is on the cards. :nod: Can't say I know of any mappers in the Cork area, and any that I do know of would be more familiar with rally cars and not worrying about cold idling for a road car. :doh:

G

GTI-R Kid

Rayman - the more I read on the eManage the more it appeals, but also confuses! :doh: I see mention of main harness, injector harness etc, and no definite information as to what is needed.

So what would be needed besides the main unit?

Fazz

Rob - ur final option would be Richie at Xtreme Auto's in Waterford.
I know they are familiar with Apexi's, not certain on the emanage thou.

To be honest I'm in teh same boat as u, car been rebuilt to similar spec, and next step is ecu. I have the Apexi SAFC2 so gonna try get a map out of that first, as its the cheapest option and considering the modifications are still basic - ie no ecu remap etc, then it may suffice for a while.
Most important is to retain safety for 95ron.

If I'm not happy or not enough power then prob start the emanage route, and after that the bigger turbo assuming nothin has broken in between or mind changed etc etc...

If you want to try the Apexi fuel controller first, as i said I know of one up for grabs due to guy upgrading to the SAFC2, - its Pat I'm talking about.
He's getting his mapped with the twin apexi's at mo, so no ECU. And by a guy called Jim from Waterford.
Jim tried to map mine before but without much success, I was looking for a 1 bar setting and he couldn't go below 1.2 for some reason. wanted 1.4 too but didn't happen.
I only gave him couple hours thou and was after getting couple other things done. He did Tristans car and I drove that and it was a bullet in fairness, think he was running 1.6 bar if I'm not wrong, (uprated turbo).

So there are other options.

Decide your next step and go from there.

My opinion woudl be try the Apexi SAFC or go straight to emanage.

Later.

G

GTI-R Kid

:lol: Funny, I was only talking to Pat last week and he was telling me about this guy Jim!

To be honest I don't really like the look of the Apexi unit, used to really really want one but then grew out of it. I was looking at the Blitz R-FIT alright - same idea just smaller unit, and would compliment the SBC-iD that I've already fitted to the car.;-)

Will really have to talk to Martin first though, to get his opinion on the eManage. And then figure out how many bloody harnesses are needed!:doh:

Cheers for all the advice and tips though - when you hoping to have yours back up and running?

rayman75

for the price of a apexi safc you might aswell go for the emanage blue, i have seen them go for £100 on here 2nd hand of course.

imo i wouldnt bother with the safc as it only controls the fuel and not the timming where as a piggyback ecu will and more, i wemt from a safc2 - E-manage ultimate and i wish i had done it ages ago and not botherd with the safc2

G

GTI-R Kid

Rayman - you're convincing me slowly :oops: but how many harnesses are needed with the main unit?

hmmm

I don't know if this helps or not, but I will eventually be going with the Emanage Ultimate and have considered every other unit. The thing that sways me is the fact that many of the factory setting remain the same like cold start, idle etc. I'll be running circa 350bhp and the Emanage Ultimate is plenty.

Just my opinion though.

JIMMYBACK

blue enamage matey cheap a fantastic unit and will cope with the 420 plus bhp im putting thou the car