Interesting thread for boost junkies

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Someone said the factory head gasket goes above 1.4bar (ish) is this still true or will it stand more boost this year? :D :p

J

J-GTi-R

There is an S14 200SX in NZ that's running 400bhp on standard internals, but a lot of time was spent making sure the fueling and timing were absolutely spot on. The GTi-R SR20DET should be able to produce similar results.

MarkTurbo

jbanach hit something like 477whp on a stock internal gtir so im guessing that had to be pretty high when it comes to boost pressure
477 on standard internals :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

MarkTurbo

It would be interesting to find out that guys spec, what turbo, management, injectors, etc, etc he was using.

That car must be running 2 bar surely. I'd imagine fuelling and everything else is pretty critical at that sort of boost (especially on standard internals), i reckon it'd go bang pretty quickly if it wasnt spot on :(

GINGA

theres a man not very far above you already doing it :wink: 8) he's just got to get his arse in gear and sort his boost control problems out first :lol:
Dp have supposedly already run R's with standard engines upto 1.8bar 8)

S

skar

2 major things to remember, 1)avoid detonation and 2)dont push revs past redline. I've seen many motors that retain standard a bottom end out here, in n.z and japan that run twice the factory output of power. especially a motor like the sr20, it an its big brother "RB"series motors can actually put out more than twice the output, our "drift" pigs here run huge turbos, aftermarket ecu, big plenums, 1.5+bar of boost, adjustable cam gears, massive intercoolers etc etc, it all adds up to big bucks, but at the end of the day, the bottom end is stock. Just avoid detonation via good tuning an a realitic red line to keep it all together.

M

madcabbie

What is considered a good redline? I am about to up my boost from standard to only about 1 bar, and was thinking 7000rpm

S

skar

Your factory rev limit is satisfactory. if/when you replace your hairdrier, intercooler, ecu, injectors, etc etc, dont set your rev limit past factory point. NA cars need revs to move, thats why you hear of them running strong internals so to make peak power at what was once a 5500rpm limit now becomes 7750, it's these high revs that kill an internally stock engine. I know from experience in my old ford 4.1(178kw@rw, no forced induction), but with turbos, stay within factory limit. work on your boltons, an most importantly, tuning tuning tuning!!!.
400+kw(@wheels) on standard internal sr20 in a silvia is commonplace. Worst case senario, you blow the block which prob will happen if poor tuning, an it will only cost $800 to replace block, transfer your boltons, an your away again (albeit with better tunning time spent this time round).
But with the GTiR whole different ballgame, I personally think not many will run hard boost (above 1.5bar) coz the drive line to match goes in the tens of thousands of dollars. Dog box, custom driveshafts, Differentials an the list goes on an on.
But in the end, EACH TO THEIR OWN.