Intercoolers?

G

GTiR Jon

Im about to get a new piperun made up for my R33 front mount as the pipes that are on are causing me nothing but trouble, but would i be better off just ditching it altogether and getting a different one and if so has anyone got any recommendations? :?
Is there much difference between them??
Sorry for my ignorance :oops:

Simmo

Yup Hybrid & Custom 3" Hard Pipes.

I had mine made up by GT Art in East Sussex, took a bit of sorting out but its spot on.

Simmo

S

Sirnixalot

3" pipe run makes no sense. all you are doing is creating unrequired lag. 2.25" hot pipe and a 2.5" cold pipe. You dont need anymore than that.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Sirnixalot said:
3" pipe run makes no sense. all you are doing is creating unrequired lag. 2.25" hot pipe and a 2.5" cold pipe. You dont need anymore than that.

Can see what you mean... Was dicussing using different sizes hot the hot/cold pipe with Rob the other day...

3" seemed about right to me though.... :?

Rishi

Simmo

I had a 2.3" pipe run before the 3" and it caused too much back pressure on the turbo but that might be my intercooler. 3" solved the problem for me though. I have heard that you might want different sized pipes for hot/cold (as sirnixalot stated).

G

GTiR Jon

I've got 3" pipework at the mo but its just causing probs! Its probably down to the shape of the intercooler but i've got squashed pipes and they are pressing into the bumper causing the tow eye to look a bit wonky. Was gonna change it to 2.5" as i aint got a massive turbo (though it is a hybrid). Reckon im doing the right thing?? :?

Mr GTiR

Sirnixalot said:
that's what i have on mine :D

O

Odin

Sirnixalot said:
For the standard sized turbo I would agree with you on this, But I think people with bigger turbos will need a bigger smoother pipe run to get the best out of it, A big turbo pushes a lot of air :wink: .

As can be seen by my car makeing 45bhp more at less boost pessure than I ran with the standard turbo ie: standard turbo 1.2 bar 311bhp and JGYBB37R turbo running 1.1 bar 356bhp then JGYBB37R turbo at 1.3 bar 386bhp and now over 400bhp at 1.5 bar :wink: 8) .

rob

O

Odin

I forgot to add that the 311bhp was with a forge front mount and the new fig's are with a hybrid kit fitted :wink: .

rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
vpulsar said:
I forgot to add that the 311bhp was with a forge front mount and the new fig's are with a hybrid kit fitted :wink: .

rob

Come on... Those fake carbon wipers must have given you at least an extra 30bhp... :lol:

i think for the kind of turbo's that a lot of the members are running nowadays i think the 3" pipework is the way to go...

For the standard ish turbos, yes the 2.5" will be fine... For those running the GT30 series and above i think the 3" is a better option...

Rishi

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
After speaking to several turbo suppliers I think 2.5 inch pipe run is fine for T28 turbo's making anything form 280 - 380 bhp and turbo's producing more than 380 bhp could go up to 3 inch pipe on the cold side.

In doing this though you are giving your turbo more space to fill so you will have a little more lag. The restriction for most people though will still always be the 2.5" inlet into the phlenum, so without increasing the size of that to 3" I see little point in going any bigger than 2.5".

The other problem is the sizes of intercoolers some people use, you see some coolers at 4" thick and the size of a bus strapped to peoples cars, because peolpe think bigger is better. Personally I think the way forward for the car putting out around 350+ bhp would be to have a cooler about 2.5" thick the size of these Hybrid coolers. The problem with the 4" thick coolers is that the air attempting to pass through them has lost so much speed it barely passes through it, thus the cooler is not doing it's job effieciantly, so thinner with a wide exposed surface area is whats needed. I think the R33 cooler or thase new Hybrid coolers are a good example to use, something around 2.5" thick would be good.

G

GTiR Jon

Good answer mate! Think i'll get a hybrid with 2.5" pipework and keep my 3" pipework as i'll be able to use some of it if i get a bigger turbo!
Cheers for the help lads :D