induction

• Thread starter gotoinstant-redline
  • Start date
G

gotoinstant-redline

hey all,

was chattin to a m8 of mine the other day and we ended up with a question..

if you could make a really large in take, like 2 induction filters into one pipe, would this help the performance? as there would be very little resistance against the suction of the turbo / engine???

or would it not work for some reason that i'm not aware of?

L.

GINGA

You'd need a twin afm set up for that aswell which would make it exspensive unless you've got a ecu that uses a map sensor that is like motec.autronics etc :wink:
A 300zx afm is supposed to flow enough for 600bhp anyway so combined with a larger turbo compressor inlet and inlet pipe that should be all you'd ever need :?:

G

gotoinstant-redline

ah..

i didnt explain myself very well..
this is for a 300zx maf..

err. back in a min.. i'll do a pic.

L.

GINGA

Well a less restrictive air filter set up couldn't hurt or you could just get a air filter like the one below :shock:

G

gotoinstant-redline

now that IS big :)

my k&n is massive, but not that big. i was just thinking that 2 of the might reduce the resistance a bit mroe and gain a tiny bit more power at the high revs.

L.

G

GTI-R Kid

Holy crap thats some filter :!:

Looks like it belongs on a powerboat or something :!:

P

pschurr

It's a good idea, and there are a few cars I've seen here (Aus) that do it. The most common is an HKS induction kit for the Skylines that do that.

I reckon its a positive move. Even if you suck the same amount of air, you've halved the flow requirement of each filter, effectively delivering air quicker. It is the same effect as the larger filter... ie. more filter area means less air per unit of filter area, which means less effect of the resistance characteristics of the filter material.

I also reckon that the equivalent of a plenum between the turbo and the afm/filters is a good move.. if its nothing more than a 4" pipe rather than 2", it is filtered air ready to suck when coming off throttle.

But the biggest (and most ignored) and simplest induction trick out there, and the one that gives THE MOST performance gains is... an airbox.

For f-u-c-k-s sake, build an airshield and some cold-air feed to the filter. You WILL notice the difference. Everyone bitch's that the tmic can't do the job, yet they stuff it full of unnecessarily hot air in the first place.

peter

G

gotoinstant-redline

i was looking at doing a box round the filters too. i have moved the batt into the boot to make space and i'm buildig my own hard induction pipe so hold the filter (or filters).

this was just another idea that i wanted to pass by you lot.. i have 2 or 3 mad cap ideas for vents, intakes and ram air style cold air things.. i was just wondering if i could improve each part of the system as i go..

on a side note.. will the afm (or a 300zx afm) work properly if it is mounted at an angle? so the air flow isnt horizontal through it?? for example. if the intake was 45'deg upward so the air flow sloped down through it...

L.

skiddusmarkus

Peter-a box like this(I have a carbon lid coming for it to replace the GRP one) 8) ?

Personally I reckon you'd be better keeping it as simple as possible ie just use one big filter.Using 2 will take up more space in the engine bay and possibly slow the air down and where the 2 airflows meet could cause turbulance.All in my uneducated opinion of course.
I think the skyline use a twin one because they have 2 MAF's so it gets around that.

If you really want a twin setup,look at the Mitsubishi GTO one as they are like that.
I'm working on some inlet/cold air box/battery reloacation kits-see here.
http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=11535&sid=5d618001744082b22b6396e663a7bc3b

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Another option for front mount owners with the standard bonnet would be an idea like SE Nissan did (I think it was them) Make the sparrow catcher a big cold air box but modified, in that you have a big flat panel filter in there that can the feed down via the afm (if it will relocate this far) staight to the turbo inlet. Surely this wouldn't be too hard to adapt on one of your carbon bonnets :wink:

skiddusmarkus

Nice idea Carl but you'd have problems with air leaks if the seal wasn't absolutely perfect.Also,if the MAF was in the bonnet,it would have to keep on moving up and down every time the bonnet was opened and would probably get damaged over time.
The Peugeot rally cars use a similar idea buyt they have the money to research it thorughly.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Hmmm, I wasn't planning on putting the maf in the bonnet as such, probably in a vertical feed between the filter and turbo. Thinking about it it might be better to rig up some sort of fixed flat panel filter induction kit that has the filter sitting in the same place as the top mount, with the bonnet closing onto it in the same way it does with the intercooler. So instead of directing air tho the top mount, it would be through the filter and straight into the maf and turbo. Only thoughts :wink:

G

gotoinstant-redline

i'm sure i asked this before somwhere else but i cant remember where to look to find it.. so i'll as k again :)

is there any problems with mounting the afm verticaly, so the air flow is a down draft rather than a cross draft??? does this impact the reading that the afm would give?? or would it work just the same?

L.

skiddusmarkus

The MAF has to be a certain distance from the turbo(14" I think).I'm not entirely sure why,but if you mount it vertically,then it would have to be sticking out of the bonnet to be this far away,unless you rigged up an elaborate piperun that could get round this.Keep it simple I reckon.

G

gotoinstant-redline

my idea was slightly diffrent to the above one...

if you go "14 to the right (behind the headlight) of the turbo. i could build a box or what ever there.. and stick the afm as close ("14 as its been pointed out to me..) to the turbo as i could. then i could have a large and short intake pipe.. so my afm would sorta be at around 45deg to the horizontal.

so from what you said above, i understand that it doesnt seem to matter what angle the afm is at, so long as its at least "14 away from the turbo?

L.

G

gotoinstant-redline

where did you find out about the "14 distance?
is there any real reason for this distance??

L.