Help wiring Hi-Boost to steering wheel buttons..

M

madcabbie

Hi guys, I have just bought a new steering wheel. It has 2 buttons on it, which can be pressed with your thumb without taking your hands off the wheel.

Hers a link to what it looks like --> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4554520186&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

What I wanted to do was wire one up as the horn and the other as my Hi-Boost switch. The problem I am getting is 2 fold.

First problem is that the wire for the horn has constant power running to it, which I assume is right, but theres no earth wire. I assume I just connect the earth wire to the centre nut of the wheel.

The second problem is that the wires that run for the boost controller get wrapped around the wheel as you turn. This doesn't seem good, and sometimes gets jammed. It also pulled the connections aprt when it got jammed. Anyone know of another way to wire the boost controller upto the wheel?

I was thinking of cutting the main horn wire and connecting the boost controller to this. But then I wouldn't have a horn, unless I wire a switch somewhere else in the cabin.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

OZ-Racing

My thoughts are that you should use the buttons on the wheel for one function only. Either the horn or the hi boost.

It really depends on which will get the most use.

If you live in London (EDIT: just seen your location :oops: , how about Sydney) or a major city (or somewhere with lots of fit birds), then I think the horn would be used most.
Elsewhere you'll probably find the hi boost function gets the most use.

M

madcabbie

Thanks mate, my thoughts were similar. And I definately use the hi-boost more than the horn. At the moment anyway.

I live out in the country. So might be easier to just wack a horn button somewhere else for now.

cheers