HELP - Fuel Pump power cable colour....

geetee

Help!

I need to run a new live feed to my fuel pump.

Looking at the connectors that go into the fuel tank... anyone know which connector / colour wire it is it is?

I need to get this done between finishing work and it going dark so I don't want to be pissing about having to take the pump out of the tank to see which is the connector for the pump and which for the fuel level sender.

Cheers
GeeTee

8)

MarkTurbo

The fuel pump connector is the one with 2 wires going to it. One wire is black and the other is black with a red stripe :wink:

geetee

ur the man :D

My get home measure tonight bob is a permanent live to the red/black and earth the black to a nearby chassis earth. Nice and safe :)

geetee

ooh... just thought... still got my mahoosive power cables from my old ICE install running back there.... that'll do for now :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

j10gtr

where r u picking the live up to feed the pump ??

you could end up with the pump running all the time if your not carefull.

my advice would be to use the existing live to the fuel pump to switch the coil of a relay then you could route your new feed via the relay contacts.

much safer in the long run. dont forget to fit an inline fuse of the correct rating.

Thanks
Paul

geetee

As I said I had to get it done before it went dark so I could get home.

I know what I need to do as a permanent fix.

My problems were,
1. the relay has gone (clicking over but not making a circuit).
2. The live feed from the relay to the back of the car is degraded (several 1000 Ohms on that cable)
3. The little springy bits in the connector that plugs on the top of the tank had splayed slightly so weren't in good contact.
4. Earth line also degraded to several 1000 Ohms.

I ended up pulling the fuel pump out by torchlight...

I was being tricked by just sticking a multimeter across the plug that connects to the fuel pump itself. It was showing a nice healthy 13V, but plug it into the pump - nothing.

Then power the pump direct from the battery, all fine.

Repeat last 2 steps 3 times.... scratch head. :?

Eventually checked the resistance on the earth and found the above - so there was no way it could pull the power it needed.

I have spliced the wires just by the connector into the tank and patched it to a nearby chassis earth. And taken the live feed from a permanent live from an old ICE install. Currently I have a spade connector in the boot that I just plug in to set the fuel pump going and unplug when I park up
:lol:

I'll get a new relay and new live run from it at some point......

Although I'm not convinced what the point of the fuel pump relay is.... it's only a 2 pin relay.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)