Getting some wheel scrub

paz

Getting some wheel scrub - whiteline springs too soft? How can I stiffen car up?

Ok, so I'm starting to wonder if whiteline springs on their own are abit soft. Took the car out for a drive yesterday after servicing it (yes thats right - I serviced it ;-)) and its driving like an absolute dream, pulls like a train all the way to the redline, no hesitation or stuttering at all... which is nice.

However I started to notice that when pushing the car on lumpy roads (your 'moors' B road type road) that the car would from time to time scrub as it went over a rolling or particularly lumpy surface.

I do have 17 inch wheels on, but I'm not really aware of anyone having this problem before - I was under the impression that it was pretty much accepted that 17's were fine.

What I'm hoping to do is find a way of stiffening up the suspension and preventing this scrub without going to the full expenditure of coilovers. Would uprated shocks or something like that rather than just the springs help?

Cheers all

Paz

Last edited:

CruiseGTi-R

Might just be the offset of your wheels. You can also check that your arch liners aren't hanging down and rubbing.

My 15's rubbed (car is really just too low) which ended in the wheel arch liner destroying itself.

I stopped it rubbing by removing the bolts which held the liner in (mine were sticking out) and carefully bending the flanges of the arch upwards a little with pliers.

Cheers, toby

youngsyp

If you find the offset is correct, you could try some harder bumpstops. As it doesn't happen all the time, this could sort the issue. It could even be the case that you current bumpstops are knackered and not doing their job ?!

Something like a Koni shock set up would be fine with the Whiteline springs too as, they're adjustable for stiffness. However, that would mean butchering you OE front struts to get them to fit ! All in all, unless you want to go for a coilover set up, the choices are quite limited, damper wise !!

paz

The offset is allegedly 40 - I bought the wheels second hand and thats the offset they provided before I even said what car I had, so I don't think they had no reason to lie about that.

The bumpstops could well be the problem, I never have any trouble on the flats, its just when the car is being pushed over an uneven surface. I really want to stop the car 'dipping' so much when it does hit a bump as eventually sods law says its going to cause some damage, maybe even to the sump.

Are aftermarket bumpstops available for the r?

paz

kirko

is the car lowered much? are the dampers uprated?
the springs set the height but the dampers control the speed of the compression and rebound so if the dampers are too soft/tired they will let the car bottom out or move enough to scrub at least

paz

The car is lowered on whiteline springs only at the moment with standard dampers. Is it worth swapping to another set of standard dampers or should I uprate? If I should uprate, whats available, where from and what costs are involved?

Is it worth swapping both my dampers and using uprated bump stops? Or should I try bump stops first? If yes to the bump stops, likewise where do I get them?

Sorry for all the questions :lol:

paz

rayman75

i have uprated gabs on mine, im runniny tsw 17's and when under hard driving i get a little scrubbage on the passenger side only, with a passenger in it.

im going down to 16's.

CruiseGTi-R

yeah, shouldn't have to rely on bumpstops unless very extreme bumps (hitting bricks in the roads).

Either investigate where its rubbing and see if you can clear more room on your arch lip.

If doesn't help, then your dampers probably are little tired by now and with 17's you need a less wallowy ride to stop em hitting.

paz

rayman75 said:
i have uprated gabs on mine, im runniny tsw 17's and when under hard driving i get a little scrubbage on the passenger side only, with a passenger in it.

im going down to 16's.
Thats what I get, passenger side only - will have a look at the inside of the arch later and see if the plastic trim is hanging down etc.

What would people recommend for uprated dampers and where is the best place to get them?

Thanks

Paz

Gray

I have KYB shocks and lowering springs on mine and it sits quite low compared to other R's I've seen