gearbox`s

nismoboy

broken gear box, i know this have been covered before but no one has asked recently and im looking for some feed back off quaife and par box owners who have had there boxes awhile now to see if they still reccomend them. Im loooking for a box thats gonna be reliable and take 400-500bhp. I like the sound of the quaife syncromesh box but would this be upto the job? and what parts does this gearset actually replace? Are dog boxes as bad to drive as every body makes out?

S

stokie1

have u thought about going 1st/2nd dog gears
was looking to do that myself but engine spec changed so need full
dog, will u be doing lots of launches etc

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
nismoboy said:
will the quaife gearset hold 400-500lbft? do u need to uprate the selector forks?
Quaiffe only quote about 350lbft I think, but that's on the conservative side. Uprated forks might as well be fitted if the gearbox is in bits anyway :wink:

nismoboy

stokie1 said:
have u thought about going 1st/2nd dog gears
was looking to do that myself but engine spec changed so need full
dog, will u be doing lots of launches etc
No i hardly ever launch it mate, so idealy id like a full syncromesh box. Are dog boxes that bad to drive? ive never driven one, how do u drive them? i guess u use the clutch to pull away in 1st then just bang it through the rest of the gears without using the clutch? cheers nis.

S

stokie1

u could give ppg a bell as they do a syncomesh set

need a good sound system with a dog box :lol:

LOU ROB

nismoboy said:
No i hardly ever launch it mate, so idealy id like a full syncromesh box. Are dog boxes that bad to drive? ive never driven one, how do u drive them? i guess u use the clutch to pull away in 1st then just bang it through the rest of the gears without using the clutch? cheers nis.
Dog boxes are awkward to use, but with a little practice, not to bad at all.
You do need the clutch to get the car moving a dog box,and you can change gear without the clutch.
BUT it's knowing what revs to change at.

nismoboy

Ive thought about it and im in a bit of a dilema, with the quaife gear set there still a chance of it braking due to being rated at 350lbft and also the quaife gearset tends to brake the housing, so thats no good. Then theres the dog boxes which im told can be arkward to use which i dont want and for a full dogbox there over £5500 which is ridiculas, so the only other options are-

Get another standard box.?
convert it to 2wd with the use of a gti box?
Brake the car and sell the bits and move on to somthing different.

Then theres also the problem of what cluctch to use, im currently using an ap paddle clutch which im sure contributed to the death of my box, Im told its best to use an organic clutch as these are kinder to the box but what organic clutch is gonna hold 400lbft +?

I dont wanna break her but if im gonna have to replace the gearbox every five minutes then its gonna have to be done.

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks nismoboy.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
PAR is rated at 650bhp... Open a Quaife next to the PAR and the Quaife looks stronger...

Quaife only rated the box at 350bhp for legal warranty issues... In reality it will hold whatever you want to throw at it...

No one has actually had a Quaife failure yet...

The casing blowing isn't down to the Quaife... Its the Solid engine/box mounts combined with the OS Giken Twin Plate clutch... Although i suspect that they may have been the Solid type clutches too...

The Quaife is a safe bet...

I use one... Launched on it about 50 times... no issues... at all!...

Rishi

Dooie Pop Pop

are we allowed to talk about par gearbox' s??? :wink: i think Si' s experiences have put me right off owning a par box.

anyway if some people can get away with a standard box to drag race, ie Jason Grant. then surely the quaiffe would take as much as you could chuck at it if treated nicely :?

besides if you do get a problem with the quaiffe at least you' ve not got far to send it :lol:

nismoboy

So u all think the quaife will be my best option?

So now all i have to do is stop the housing from breaking, i already have stock engine/gearbox mounts so that will help, What clutch should i use? baring in mind im running 400bhp now and may well rise to 500bhp at a later date.

Rishi

nismoboy said:

So now all i have to do is stop the housing from breaking, i already have stock engine/gearbox mounts so that will help, What clutch should i use? baring in mind im running 400bhp now and may well rise to 500bhp at a later date.

RPS Single Plate Paddle Clutch Kit with CNC Flywheel... Rated at 550lb ft...

Will do the job nicely and preserve the gearbox casing... :wink:

Rishi

nismoboy

RishiGTiR said:
nismoboy said:

Rishi
i thought paddle clutches were bad for our gearbox? also is the rps paddle smooth on operation? as i have an ap at the moment and its awful to drive it shakes the whole car.

Rishi

nismoboy said:
RishiGTiR said:
nismoboy said:

Rishi
i thought paddle clutches were bad for our gearbox? also is the rps paddle smooth on operation? as i have an ap at the moment and its awful to drive it shakes the whole car.

I used an HKS 3 paddle... Very harsh... 50 launches on the Quaife and no troubles at all...

The RPS is a 6 paddle so a lot smoother than the HKS...

Remember with over 400bhp you are not going to find an organic clutch to hold the power reliably without overheating and slipping...

The Quaife will handle the paddle all day long...

So in black and white... Quaife Box... Get the FULL REBUILD... all new Quaife and Nissan parts... Think there is about £500 of Nissan parts to go in there too...

RPS Max Paddle Clutch Kit 550lb ft with Fidenza Flywheel...

Rishi