gearbox cooling

G

gordo

does the pulsar come with a gearbox oil cooler as standard? if not is it possible to fit one?

thanks

G

gordo

i know this just wondered if anyone on here had done it? what would be the best way to go about it? ie where to tap in for the inlet and outlet? also would i need to fit an oil pump to pump the oil round the box and cooler?

G

gordo

so i take it i wont need a oil pump for it? did you have the casing off to do this?

G

gordo

blank off the vent? what vent?

would i just have the pump mounted on the inlet oil line?

J

jpward

Odin said:
Why would you need to blank off the gearbox breather :? , Their wont be anymore oil in the box at any one time, The vent will still need to be their doing the job it was designed to do .

Rob
As you have thought some about box protection Rob do you know what the relative Box oil temps are getting up to?

:?

J

jpward

Odin said:
No mate I've haven't probed it as yet, I do intend to fit an oil temp sender in one of the lines when I get around to installing the system, But I doubt weather a cooler is really necessary for a daily driver, The only reason I had the box fitted with the fittings was because the box was being rebuilt at the time, And my intention to do a lot of track days once I've finally finished my shed.

If the oil temps do get to high it wont do the box much good, So it's more of a preemptive strike you might say.

Rob
Yes I see were you are coming from!

I would think you could possibly use both top and bottom bungs to connect fittings to as in theory that would be the normal flow of oil unless there is any restrictions just behind the filler wich from memory I do not think there are.

I know Rishi also talked about something similar many moons ago any idea what happened "Idea dropped due to lack of interest" :lol:

J

jpward

Odin said:
He only talked about it because I'd already done it and told him about it :doh: :roll: , I think the oil is best put back in the box from the top.

Rob
Yes I suppose the top may be a little further from the outlet and thus will allow oil to "Pick up" more heat.

Though it has to be said Rob you'd have fun fitting in yet another Radiator/Cooler :lol:

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Mine is also all plumbed ready for an oil cooler.. I believe my AEM ECU can control all this..

and yes, Rob gave me the idea!

G

gordo

in the gt4 the inlet and outlet are both at the bottom of the box. so i was going to try and do it the same as it.

bracpan

The question here is WHY? For road driving, sprinting, hillclimbing, or even track days it doubtfull if you need one. I would say the Safari Rally would be the only time it would be needed. Just remember the simpler the car is the less it has to go wrong. Why add complexity and weight. Just use a good fully synthetic oil.
Phil

G

gordo

i just recon by cooling the oil it will help the gear box live longer and will can handle a bit more power as there will be less heat build up.

J

jpward

RishiGTiR said:
Mine is also all plumbed ready for an oil cooler.. I believe my AEM ECU can control all this..

and yes, Rob gave me the idea!
Whats the story on this has RC ever managed to tune it yet seams a long time now Rishi?

Also what type of sensor would you use to get reading AEM coolant work?

Last edited by a moderator:

bracpan

The braking of the Pulsar boxes has nothing to do with heat, could even be the oposite as many of them have broken when cold and leaving the line !! Thats why many older cars had to warm there g/boxes before using in anger. The Oilman could have some info about this subject , might be worth asking him before going to the expence of cooling the box.
Good luck
Phil

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
jpward said:
Whats the story on this has RC ever managed to tune it yet seams a long time now Rishi?

Also what type of sensor would you use to get reading AEM coolant work?

Its was running around on the AEM a while back.. Its just been sitting there for all this time waiting for them to get around to starting/finishing it really.. They've told me that they are working on it now and to call on Tuesday for an update, so we shall see..