fuel pump info

O

Odin

found this on the SR 20 forum, Some interesting info for all you guy's thinking about changing fuel pumps, With an easy to read graph ;-) :lol:

255 LPH is only a volume measurement. The problem with alot of pumps is that they can't supply the necessary flow along with the necessary fuel pressure (60+ PSI).

The 255 LPH Walbro is notorious for dropping fuel pressure at full load, and it does not accept voltage increase very well because it's just physically small.

A Z32 fuel pump on the other hand at 16V outputs alot of flow. Around the Skyline GT-R pumps at the same voltage. They are pretty easy to install as well, and readily available.

Aftermarket pumps like the A1000 are not too be left out of the equation, but understand that excessive flow through the system will lead to fuel warming as, at least on my 240, the return drops fuel right next to the baffled pick-up.

Seen here are the Skyline and Z32 pumps at various voltages.

To run this you can use the Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump from SPL Parts (www.splparts.com)

Rob

MarkTurbo

Thunder God said:
With an easy to read graph ;-) :lol:

That graph dosent make sense to me! Why is it plotting BHP against boost pressure, shouldnt it be flow rate against fuel pressure to show the drop off in flow as the pressure increases :?

O

Odin

I think it just show's you what each pump can support in BHP terms.

Rob

MarkTurbo

Thunder God said:
I think it just show's you what each pump can support in BHP terms.
It dosent even do that though. If you take the top one (GTR pump 1 @ 16v) according to that its just over 850 bhp at 7 psi and about 775 bhp at 27 psi :? Whats all that about :der: When it comes down to fuel pump flow rates the whole graph is pointless in my opinion :lol:

ashills

a high pressure 255 will do 550 bhp but not for sustained periods after 500 best to go to a 044 bosch unit and either adapt to mount in tank or get a swirl pot etc

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Thunder God said:
A Z32 fuel pump on the other hand at 16V outputs alot of flow. Around the Skyline GT-R pumps at the same voltage. They are pretty easy to install as well, and readily available.
Will a fuel pump ever see 16V? I thought about 13-14 was the most you saw in a car?

A

another sunny

So if i am running with just a few mods, with my boost set up to 1.2bar what pump should i fit, i have been told i should uprate and was going to fit a walbro?

O

Odin

Fast Guy said:
Will a fuel pump ever see 16V? I thought about 13-14 was the most you saw in a car?

They have a little toy called a : Kenne Bell boost-a-pump 20AMP $219 ;-) , It can change the voltage to the pump 8) .

Rob

A

AJ4

MarkTurbo said:
If you take the top one (GTR pump 1 @ 16v) according to that its just over 850 bhp at 7 psi and about 775 bhp at 27 psi :? Whats all that about :der:

It makes sense, basically its saying if you have a huge engine and need to run 7 psi of boost, then that pump can flow enough fuel for 850 bhp.

If your running 27psi though because you have a smaller engine or something then the fuel pump has to push harder and can only flow enough fuel to produce 775 bhp.

Just look at the chart with the boost you are running ( regardless of the engine ) and it tells you what bhp you could achieve.

I know its a bit **** about face, but it does work.

O

Odin

AJ4 said:
It makes sense, basically its saying if you have a huge engine and need to run 7 psi of boost, then that pump can flow enough fuel for 850 bhp.

If your running 27psi though because you have a smaller engine or something then the fuel pump has to push harder and can only flow enough fuel to produce 775 bhp.

Just look at the chart with the boost you are running ( regardless of the engine ) and it tells you what bhp you could achieve.

Thanks for making sense of that mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

Rob

MarkTurbo

AJ4 said:
You can say that again :doh: :lol: I get the idea behind it now though ;-)

I was expecting a graph with flow rates and fuel pressures on, not something my mates 2 year old kid drew with his set of crayons :lol:

T

tro||

imagine that graph is like the effect your penis pump has on your todger mark..lol at 5 psi you see 1 inch growth, at 10 psi you see 2 inch growth, at 20 psi you see 3 inch growth.etc.etc..lol

cmng

At first i blur
when i check AJ reply
the PSI mention is boost the i got the point

less pressure the pump with higher voltage supplied
it can support more hp