Fuel mixture

turblio

Heres a bit of info I have been researching lately its all off the net so very easy to find/read but worthwhile looking into for all of us running higher boost etc and disconnecting various pipes :p ...
Check for loss of EGR. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system is one of the engine's primary emission controls. Its purpose is to reduce oxides of nitrogen (NOX) pollution in the exhaust. It does this by "leaking" (recirculating) small amounts of exhaust into the intake manifold through the EGR valve. Though the gases are hot, they actually have a cooling effect on combustion temperatures by diluting the air/fuel mixture slightly. Lowering the combustion temperature reduces the formation of NOX as well as the octane requirements of the engine.
If the EGR valve is not opening, either because the valve itself is defective or because its vacuum supply is blocked (loose, plugged or misrouted vacuum hose connections, or a defective vacuum control valve or solenoid), the cooling effect is lost. The result will be higher combustion temperatures under load and an increased chance of detonation.
Food for thought...

There is another link here http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Engine/Detonation/index.php
that is very good reading and even educated myself! (not difficult :lol: )
really :lol:
Frank

mods you may want to move this not sure :oops:

JIMMYBACK

:shock: thats jibberish to me :shock: :? all i see is letters bundled together
:oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
so let me get this right - if the EGR valve is working ok, it will reduce the temperature in the combustion chamber? helping to prevent DET

turblio

The egr is an example, I was cross referencing it to our rocker breather set up thought it may be good to get opinions on this as I always thought it weakened the fuel/air mix so need to get more input from people before we
all go changing anything :lol:
and if the above statement about the mixture is true well I have really learnt something here!
Frank

zia

the r does not have egr, egr is completely different to crankcase recirculation. the fuel mixture dilution is far less with crankcase emissions. this has been discussed before.

zia

Fire & skill

Vintage member
that was a really interesting read. what i thought was detination was infact preignition :shock: now im after some cold plugs!! :wink:

sypher

yup, the purpose of EGR is to lower combustion temp' and reduce NOX oxides of nitrogen. thankfully we don't have it just crank case breathing thats recirculated (as stock), i don't like it for a few reasons, mostly the oil that accumulates on the intake throttles and runners...

turblio

Fire & skill said:
that was a really interesting read. what i thought was detination was infact preignition :shock: now im after some cold plugs!! :wink:
Exactly what I have just fitted in mine :lol: 8) and yes I thought the way it was written was excellent, shows what I do at work :oops: :lol: