faulty tempreature guage -pls help im panicing!

mattygti-r

hi guys..

driving back tonight down the A10 and realised that the tempreature guage wasnt working....thought "hum taking a long time to heat up" get to a 3rd of the way up then half way but never drops below 3rd.....when moving and doesnt over heat..the car has never over heated...

when replacing the thermastat housing (due to removing alternator etc)
there wasnt a sensor in it!

any ideas why this is not working? has been fine for past 3 months. :( :( :(

A

Anonymous

down the A10
iam up[ the enfield /edmonton A10 way all the time, where do you live?

sorry, it was about the temp gauge, sorry can't help :cry:

mattygti-r

live in basildon mate but was at the pub in WGC i go to uni in hatfield...ive seen a black R sometimes in traffic early in the mornings by the BP garage cross roads on the a10 that u?

:D

J

jasegould

Sorry but I cant work out what your problem is, your gauge should be reading about 1/2 to a 1/3 (ideally around the half mark) of the way up while driving. Will prob be reading a little bit lower and take a lot longer to warm up than it should due to the lack of thermostat :?: :?: :?:

mattygti-r

ok heres my prb...and i panic with my R cos never had one b4 and just worry alot bout it...stupid i kow

ok my R always heats ok up and always sits on half way mark....yes it taking longer to heat up but understand its flipping cold of late

so started up tonight outside the pub (was on cokes dont worry) got all the way down the a10 just sat outside of working temp then went half way..then dropped to 1/3 again...stayed there then back up.... :roll: :roll:

its the first time its done it today and its always running v.well....on half way...dont kow whats up wiv it...i did do 80mph all the way back but seemed to run fine..no worries....

wahts going on basically????? my mate wiv a 200sx is looking at it poss tomorrow maybe saturday but....dont really inspire me wiv confidence driving it.

oil pressure is fine sits on "6" at start up and then mid way on the guage etc..so thats fine....just wondered what it could be....and if i need to replace thermastat is this difficult?

cheers

ive no experience on these Rs and no one i kow owns one so kinda lost

ex-gtir

hi mate
the thermostat is on the other side of the engine the part you took off is the inlet housing id get a new thermostst and try that could be faulty if it was the water pump it would normally leak water or seize up had one lately do that without leaking
theree are a few tests you can do it check the gauge and the sensor im only down in kent if you that worried then pop down as you may know i work on gtir most weekend
mike

mattygti-r

cheers mate...a mate of mine thinks its the thermastat but kinda strange it just went there....dont think its water pump..but u never know do u....am ab out to go and start it up and see what happens.....

appreciate ur help and just worry bout the R cos ive never had one b4 and dont really kow the the little problems you get with them my first 3months have been abit troubled..esp as it broke down on day 2 :oops:

S

Sunny Nutter

yeah it sounds like a sticky thermostat,

I had that problem with my 1400 sunny, I think it was stuck slightly open, ran perfectly during the summer, but during the winter it took her ages to heat up and the heater inside was pants on a frosty night....funny enough, she was sold during the summer and I forgot to mention that to the buyer :oops: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

better get it sorted soon mate or the problem may go the other way....i.e. it could stick closed then you'd overheat! :shock: :shock: :cry:

mattygti-r

ive just started up the R and let it warm up..was fine and warmed up nicely. :D

took it for a 2mile stint...(just round the block)and the guage was still on 1/2 way was fine..and it was left outside all night and covered in frost.

im thinking sticky thermastat too.. and after looking i trust its located in the right hand (pass side) hose, ive a blue samco hose so just unclip that and its there? how long does this take?

it has loads of coolant in the car and seems ok...but do u think i should just redo theramastat??? or am i just panicing?

cheers for all your help guys

mattygti-r

or maybe not! lol

its all over the shop (dont go past 1/2 thou) but its not right...how long does this take to replace?