Engine Problem - Please help!!!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have only got my GTIR a few months ago and have just had a 5" decat Mongoose exhaust added. The only other engine mod is an HKS green mushroom filter. My problem is this:

- The car is very quick at the start of my journey (when cold)
- Lots of blue smoke when I change gears (clouds of the stuff!)
- When warm, the car seems to struggle at 4000 revs (loses acceleration) and there is a lot of popping and noise from the exhaust
- Again, lots of popping/backfiring when I have accelerated hard and have taken my foot off the pedal. Now I know that popping is just unburnt gases, but there is loads of it - is this normal.

(The above has only started since I put the exhaust on)

Is there a shortage of fuel going to the engine?
Something wrong with the back pressure?

Any help/comments greatly appreciated!

Tailz

I

Innovate Performance

Chrck the ECU for fault codes.

The blue smoke could be your turbo on its way out. :( or valve stem oil seals :( :( .

The poping could be a fueling problem or could just be a sensor.
Fault code check will tell you if it is a sensor.

Code be your fuel pump is on its last legs.

Ahh the joys of a GTiR :D :D

herbie

I had similar problems. Poor running, car cutting out at junctions etc.
It turned out the connection to the Mass airflow meter had come slack. Try cleaning out that connection first then see how you get on.
Also do the fault code check.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
All that back firing a popping when its warm suggests that the car is going into Limp Home Mode... A fault Code check will confirm this... Look in the How To giude to see how to do this check...

Basically when the car is warm its starting to Det causing it to go into Limp Home mode... This basically retards the timing to keep the car safe which would explain the crap acceleration and the mass of flames(quite cool actually)...

Also sounds like your turbo is on its was out too.. :cry:

Your Det could actually be caused by the increase in boost from fitting the zorst and filter... Or Oil getting in through the inlet mani...

This is just one theory... But it does sound like its gonig into limp home mode... Mine used to do the same when i had a top mount intercooler... The air getting into the engine was just too hot... Fitting my HKS Front Mount Intercooler solved the problem... Although dropping the timing back a degree or so could cure this...

Are you using optimax or just the normal stuff... If you are using the normal stuff this this could also be causing it to Det and go into Limp Home Mode...

Rishi

geoff pine

ihad asimlar prob was runing unlimited boost fuel pump was knackerd could not suplly enought fuel keep cuting out at high revs new pump and boost sorted by hiteq car sound now :lol: :lol: dont no about blue smoke think thats turbo related

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys - basically I need to get it to an expect and pray that the turbo's ok!!

Tailz

ram5ay

Recon I'd follow Rishi's reconing on this, sounds like its going into limp home mode when hot.

tailz said:
Tailz
Sounds like it could be turbo oil seals if it's just happened since you fitted the Goose. The reduced back pressure/increased boost caused by the free flowing exhaust can encourage this. I think there was a recent post about this happening to someone else.

tailz said:
- Again, lots of popping/backfiring when I have accelerated hard and have taken my foot off the pedal. Now I know that popping is just unburnt gases, but there is loads of it - is this normal.
Tailz
This is pretty normal for a Goose from what I've seen, especially if you have an atmospheric BOV as this will cause your fuelling to richen up just as you shift.

Hope this helps a bit.

GINGA

tailz said:
- When warm, the car seems to struggle at 4000 revs (loses acceleration) and there is a lot of popping and noise from the exhaust
Don't be suprised if your pistons are dead :(

paz

The noise is the exhaust.

But before you get too concerned, if you have LITERALLY only just had the new exhaust fitted, the inside has a thin plastic coating which takes a while to burn off. I actually thought my turbo had gone when I fitted the goose because of the smoke it seemed to be burning.

Saying that though, with the other problems you are experiencing i.e. hesitancy over 4k it does sound like the turbo.

Hope you get it sorted.

Paz