Electric windows and folding mirrors !

hmmm

Just got my new R but have a couple of problems

The electric windows open easily enough but they take ages going up. What could be the problem?

Also the folding mirrors dont work. They can be adjusted but not folded in.

The clip on the glove compartment has also snapped. Where can i pick one up and how much do they cost?

Thanks guys...dont know what i would do without this forumn.

A

Anonymous

Glad to hear you finally got your R. What is the spec and how much did you pay for it?
Anyway back to the topic, as most of us know the electrics are crap on the car, I have had to replace window regulators because they have seized etc, But as for the folding mirrors, not to sure i think Nissan dealers might help there if not try gtir spares
So are you coming to the PTS meet?

hmmm

still trying to get insured at the mo :(

a company let me down they refsed to go ahead with what they originally quted me

not mentioning any names but elephant really did annoy me

A

Anonymous

Tesco's
Admiral Insurance

What's the colour of thr Gtir please don't say BLACK.....

A

AZ STE

Be very carefull with your windows at the moment .If you remove the door cards you will be able to just see how they work The door motors drive a closed loop cable in a spool rather like a pushbike brake cable.Due to the system being how it is the inner stranded cable spends alot of its time exposed and drys out this then causes the inner and outer cable to start to stick and break. The spool cable system is £80 per side as yours havent snapped yet try and get as much lubrication on the cable (grease) then actuate the windows up and down and you should be ok. :wink:

hmmm

its black :oops:

i will try admiral as tesco quoted me £2000 as a named driver tpft and 2700 fully comp again as a named driver

J

jasegould

Lubricate the window runners with silicon spray or wd40 and that'll prob cure the problem, I have to lubricate mine about once every 6 months

S

Stoned

On mine the mirrors fold, but the switch to adjust them does naff all :roll:

hmmm

today i took of the plastic part off the inside of the door to fit some speakers. I greased up the parts that seemed like they needed greasing . ( i could only reached down a little as i didnt complete remove everything to make the motor exposed ).

The window still takes ages coming up and sometimes it completely stops. U have to wait a moment b4 it comes back to life. The motor seems very hot.

when the window is fully opened it goes up and gets stuck half way. It struggles and someimes dies. Then it continues to move up again.

what could be wrong?

S

seanleed

I lubricated the runners for my windows with a load of silicon spray and that sorted them out, I also squirted spray grease down the outer of the operating cable, spray grease is good because it goes in like oil, then the solvent in it evaporates and it goes to grease :D
As for the mirrors, I think you'll have to take them off and check them out. Cant remember exactly how they come off, AFAIK you have to remove the door card to get to the plug for them, then remove the little triangular bit of trim on the door, I think there's 3 screws in there to remove (it's 2 years since I took mine off so it's a bit of a stretch on my memory :oops: ). Once you get it off you can plug it back in and see what happens when you work the switch. All that was wrong with mine was that the sprockets needed a good clean and a bit of grease. Try and avoid taking the mirror glass out if you can, because although it does pop out, it's a bit of a pain in the @rse to do. Check all elecrical connections are clean and dry, check soldered joints, if you can, check for voltage at the motor. HTH

hmmm

i will try to regrease it in a couple of weeks time. I have too much coursework at the moment. :cry:

thanks for the advice

BenD

jasegould2002 said:
Lubricate the window runners with silicon spray or wd40 and that'll prob cure the problem, I have to lubricate mine about once every 6 months
Or try vaseline, im sure someone on here has some handy :wink:

hmmm

tried operating the windows again today :oops:

it seems as though the actual glass is not secure and moves a bit whilst going up and down...

any ideas? :?:

hmmm

i removed the inner door card again but it is difficult to grease up the motor. Can another part of the door be removed or do u have to try and squeeze ur hand through to grease it up.

thanks

S

seanleed

You can disconnect the winder from the window and the door frame and take the whole thing out. Can't remember exactly how to do it, but it's not too hard to figure out.

hmmm

just read that it could be that the rubber seals may also need lubricating with rubber spray. Do Halfords sell this?

thanks

hmmm

windows sorted

i lubricated the rubber seals with silicon spray and the windows seem to be working fine

thanks for all the help guys much appreciated.