Coolant hoses at rear of engine

Richy cummings

Would appear the hoses on the back of my engine have sprung a leak

Any ideas where I will get a replacement quickly as most I've tried say 5 weeks for silicone hoses

Also advice on how to change them as I can't even see them at the minute

Jon Olds

Lots of plumbing down the back. Some of it is associated with the tickover control, so I took all this off my rallycar, to simplify the plenum removal.
Downside is a wandering tickover with engine electrical load.
No biggie to me.
Access now is 'acceptable' with plenum off in 15 or so minutes, a massive benefit
Jon

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I don't think I had to wait 5 weeks for my hose set, but it did end-up coming from Australia.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170954612648

Unlike Jon, I tried to put it all back the way it was before... and it's a pig of a job. - Inlet manifold and plenum off is the best way to get at them (unless you can see the one hose you're changing and will leave everything else alone; then you might be able to do it from underneath). If you wanted to, dropping the engine and gearbox would make it even easier.
Expect the hose clamps to be pretty stiff and the old hoses gummed on pretty tight... and don't expect the hose set to be a perfect fit; mine needed a bit of adjusting.

I took the opportunity to install a new det sensor while I was down the back of the engine.

Last edited:

Richy cummings

Thanks for the replys.. Considering getting a garage on the job as I'd hate to take it to bits and get stuck as it is still drivable at the minute.

Any recommendations on garages in the north east of England that are good with gtir's ?

Wes

I have just been through the same issue, initially I went to Nissan for the pipes but they said it could be an 8-12 week wait for the pipes. I ended up with silicone of EBay for just over £100 and they where delivered within a week.
The job itself is not particularly hard to do, what I found the worst was getting the old clips off, the tips of my fingers after completion where ruined.
It will take a while to do, just because its so fiddly but if I was you I would give it a go.