compressor flutter

Gav_Kara

ive fitted a gt2871r and dont get as much compressor flutter why is ths because i used to love that sound!!! i running a hks ssqv some people told me to run a greddy type rs and ya get more flutter

GTIR-LOZ

take of the dump valve and block the hole thats how you get the flutter or wind in the adjuster on the hks fully and you will get some flutter

STEVEN878

does this not damage the turbo? i thought on boost a petrol car cant deal with the pressure when you lift of the throttle then put your foot back down and has to either vent the pressure to atmosphere or re-circulate in affect you stall the turbo and can damage the turbine/impellor shaft.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I would assume that at this point it would push the air back out the filter. This is what happened on my GTR and would like my GTI-R to be similar so would be interested in the outcome of this.

Saying that the GTR still had the re-circulating dump valves

GTIR-LOZ

well mine doesnt have a dump vlave and its fine as long as your turbo does not have the standard thrust bearings you will be fine

Gav_Kara

GTIR-LOZ said:
well mine doesnt have a dump vlave and its fine as long as your turbo does not have the standard thrust bearings you will be fine
its a gt2871r on mine so its a ball bearing turbo.. i only running a bar boost mate!!

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Gav, you won't damage anything at that pressure, you might even get a better response, there's quite a few people running around without a dump valve without any adverse effects, you only really need it for high boost ie 1.6 upwards

remove the SSQV, block the hole and give it a go

MarkTurbo

STEVEN878 said:
the standard re-circulating dump valve is there for a reason mate
Re circulating dump valves are fitted to cars with turbos to reduce noise! Car manafacturers figure mr average dosent want silly noises coming from his car everytime he lifts off the throttle ;-)

white 'R'

When i had my 3071 put on the guys at norris designs took my dump valve off! I raised the question with simon and he said he ran his car and other high powerd cars without them and he believed it quickend the responce of the turbo. I always thought that it would put too much pressure on the turbo so i stuck it back on anyway!

STEVEN878

alright mate have you tried it without the dump valve yet? curious to know just how loud the flutter is and how the car feels on boost.

white 'R'

put dump valve on and i get flutter first and then noise of dump valve straight after!
i don't realy notice the difference in responce?

MarkTurbo

white 'R' said:
When i had my 3071 put on the guys at norris designs took my dump valve off! I raised the question with simon and he said he ran his car and other high powerd cars without them and he believed it quickend the responce of the turbo
Ive ran my car without a dumpvalve for years and i'd agree with what he said about turbo response being better ;-) I reckon he should practice what he preaches though as his evo 9 certainly sounded like it had a dump valve fitted when i was watching him at castle combe yesterday :lol:

GTIR-LOZ

apparantly the standard thrust bearings do not like being pushed in the opposite direction to wha they are meant to do so you get premature failure, also i cant see it increasing boost response only a recirculating valve would do that as it puts the boost leaked off back into the air intake