Compression testing - minor detail

geetee

Going to run a comp test on my R.

Instructions with the comp tester say to disconnect ignition completely by removing LT cable....

I've done lots of comp tests on m'bikes and always just removed the plugs, put em back in the plug cap and left them grounded on the engine block somewhere so they spark away....

Obviously, you have to remove all 4 to do this otherwise the car starts :eek:

Is there any benefit to totally disabling the ignition circuit - or is it just a preference so ur not likely to zap urself with a spark :)

Cheers
GeeTee

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
There's no need to disconnect the whole IGN system... Thats probably been printed to cover their backs when it come to Health & Saftly issues...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I normally disconnect the ignition system. After all it's only a 2sec job to pull the wire off. Saves you trying to balance aload of live plugs on the engine :?

O

Olly

Remember remember to have wide/full open throttle to get accurate readings :lol:

Websnowbo

Olly said:
Remember remember to have wide/full open throttle to get accurate readings :lol:
Why???

If your takin the piss then please note, i knew you were and just posted this to gain a post count

geetee

When we used to do the m'bike compression tests, we always did these with wide open throttle.

I'm not sure if makes it any more accurate - but relieves the load on the starter as it maximises the air intake.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Websnowbo said:
Olly said:
Why???

If your takin the piss then please note, i knew you were and just posted this to gain a post count
Cos the instructions tell you to. :wink:

Probably like Geetee says, the cylinder fills quicker, so you don't have to crank it over for so long, so saving your starter motor.

Websnowbo

Oh, ok i can see that. But it will not alter the accuracy though. It will just make it easy to turn the engine over. Like you say.

O

Olly

So if the engine is compression tested with throttle closed where the hell is the engine gonna get the air from to fill the cylinder to give you a accurate compression reading :p An engine is basically an air pump :wink:

Whoops don't wanna get my post count up again :roll: